Newbie Chimney Cleaner - Pics of Stage 2 Creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PARAL

Jul 14, 2008
Northern NJ
Yes, it is another topic about chimney cleaning ... but in the big picture I guess that is a good thing.

I checked out my chimney a few days back and have to definitely clean it during this week's warmth.

This my first season and have been burnt about a cord since mid-December. I have been burning a mix of hardwoods that have been split since spring and stacked and covered since mid-summer. I know some of the pieces are still wet from the sizzling sound but others burn very good and hot. I have been adding a bunch of softwood kindling to get the heat up and dry out the suspect pieces.

First ? ... Is that stage 2 creosote on top? Also, one picture shows the cap with some staining on it ... Is that a problem or is it normal?

Second ? ... How do others with inserts clean from the bottom-up?? Being my first time for cleaning, I would imagine a big dust cloud coming down at you ... how do bottom-up insert cleaners manage that mess? In this regard top-down cleaning seems simpler since you just close the door on the insert and brush away.

Thanks,
- Phil

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 526
Another picture farther down the liner ...

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 526
The top part where it sticks up above the chimney will always look much worse than the rest. It cools there.

You can still see all the ridges there. Did you expect them to be silver and shine? Did you take the time to clean it?

It really doesn't look that bad to me but I would run a brush down it since I would have it with me up there anyway. IMHO defiantly not worth a trip up on the roof just to clean it.

I don't if that is stage 2 but that's exactly how I had a chimney fire, now it was in class A Chimney pipe and it went out quickly but still a scare. I too had wet wood, I actually had my wood uncovered in a sunny spot, but I didn't put a little tarp just on the top of it (for the rain). So when I brought the wood in, it was seasoned but wet from hard rain. Live and learn...... Plus I had three days in a row where I burn not hot enough, black glass means black pipes. I should know better but it happened anyway, still lessons learned. I now clean my pipes once a month, maybe a little longer, just so my head feels better. I only get one cup brown powder but seeing that clean pipe is always a good thing, since I leave my house all the time with the stove going.

Can't get up to the top of the chimney? Why not hire a professional and tell him you would like to go up there with him. Learn, learn, learn. If he is a good guy he won't care because he knows you will pass his name to others. Buy a good Rutland brush kit...cheap, clearance stuff right now, and do at it next time. Better to hire a pro and learn from him.

I think a good scrubbing will take care of that, just wet wood in my book, and maybe not hot enough. Do you have a nice Rutland thermometer for the stovetop? Or a laser thermo? If not go grab one

I am sure others will chime in and let you know what they think

JFK, Thankfully I do have an IR thermometer and I definitely run it hot enough to get the secondaries while I am shutting her down. I never get black glass .. well actually I did for the first few weeks but not anymore.

I can get to the top of the chimney and it's not too bad of a job ... I am just curious how people with inserts or anyone who has to work through the door in the main living space manages the dust cloud when cleaning bottom-up.

All, Thanks for your input ... I didn't know exactly what to expect but I new the shiny black creosote (stage 2 or 3) was the bad stuff ... so I was getting a little concerned. It makes sense that that stuff would exist at the part extending past the chimney. Knowledge puts the mind at ease.

I just got my chimney brush last night so now I will be cleaning it asap.

I put one of those aluminum roasting pans from the dollar store in the bottom of the firebox and then go up top and drop a rope through the liner and insert the brush. Then I go back down and pull the brush through the liner. After that the soot, the rope and the brush are in the pan and I just take it all outside.

Thanks BB, So I guess that you don't get too much dust in the house or in your face? Maybe I pictured creosote to be more like ash that get's real dusty everywhere. I just have to brush it and learn hands on.

It doesn't really go airborne the way ash does. It's more of a crusty, sticky substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.