• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shakedownstreet

Sep 21, 2021
Charlton, NY
Hi there. Just registered and looking for some input. I just bought a ranch style home and it has an old wood stove. I've never had one and know nothing about them. The house is 1080sq. I keep thinking I'd like to replace the old stove with a newer, efficient one. I have multiple friends say do not bother, get gas. I'm just bent on wood. It will not be my primary heat source. I'm thinking mote on weekends and super cold days. That said, do I buy used or new? There's a Lopi dealer in town and they recomended the Answer or Evergreen. I know I don't want to babysit a stove all day. I like the idea of longer burn times, and the option to have it go all night. That said, I also don't want to bake myself out of my living room, and have cold pockets in other rooms. I know.. im pretty demanding!

Oh.... then there's cost! The Answer is 2400, Evergreen 3200. That's not including tax or installation. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshot_20210801-183419_Chrome.jpg

Welcome. That doesn't look like a code legal installation. That stove needs much better wall shielding to be that close to the wall. In order to know what size stove will fit we need to know more about the room and house. Is this room open to the rest of the house or closed off by a door way? How large is it and how tall is the ceiling? Is there a stairwell off the the room to an above floor? I'm surprised the Answer is now selling for $2400, but prices have jumped a lot this year. Have you looked at other brands of stoves?

Thanks for writing. I have no idea when this stove was installed, or by who. My guess is it's an 8' ceiling. It's in the living room, as soon as you walk in the door. It's basically in the center of the home. There is a doorway to the left of the stove tgat leads to the kitchen. There's a small set of stairs off the back of the kitchen that goes to a bedroom in the upstairs. There's no door at the bottom on the stairs. The stove is pointed away from the 2 bedrooms and bathroom on the first floor.

I haven't thought about other woodstoves. I've debated buying a used one to save money, especially because I don't even know how I'll like it. But, I keep thinking new. Thinking about Lopi because they apparently have a good name and a dealer like 5 min away.

Screenshot_20210903-155902_Message+.jpg Screenshot_20210903-155843_Message+.jpg Screenshot_20210903-155834_Message+.jpg Screenshot_20210911-150336_Chrome.jpg

My only suggestion is to get a stove with windows...LOL...I know that's not much help but we l.o.v.e. our
Hearthstone Heritage! Considering your burner is in the living room, it'll be better than TV. ;)

That looks like a fairly short flue system on the stove. I'm guessing about 12'. If so, be careful to select a stove that will work on a shorter stack. Many require 15-16' minimum, but several Canadian made stoves will work on 12-13'.