• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,

I wanted to revisit this thread for another question, how many quotes from dealers should i get on price and install? Do prices really change per dealer? Should i just want to buy a stove vs getting the stove and install? I guess the question is can i find a better price than what two local guys are trying to give me?

I'm going to go pellet, thought about replacing the Nat gas with a new one , but in the long run I'd be happier burning the pellets to take the chill off and/or substituting the highly inefficient furnace. I'm heavily leaning toward the Harmon p-61 but like everyone in the world looking for the best price.

I don't burn pellets, well I do but they weigh ten pounds each, but I would never buy a pellet stove and installtion from two sources. From what I see here on the forum you need to get it all in one package. Then if problems arise you only have to look one place for answers.

The guy you paid for all of it. Any other way leaves too much room for finger pointing.

I completely agree with BB. By keeping it to one source you will eliminate the he said, she said possibility.

I am a Syracuse native (althought growing up in Camillus), and there are quite a few places that you could visit, if you took your time. There is one in Jordan (Harman, Enviro), Syracuse (Harman, Jotul, Avalon-Bridge St, Quadrafire - Erie Blvd), and Utica (Quad, Enviro, Leisure Line). I've had great experience with the Erie and Utica location. The Jordan and Utica locations have a wide variety connected and burning so that you can see, feel, and hear the differences between the different stoves. The individuals at these two locations were also extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and professional.

I have over the past 5 years had Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large insert (firewood), Quad Castille, and Thelin Parlor(pellet) installed, and now it is extremely rare that my furnace ever turns on! Even with the cost of pellets being what they are, compared to what I was paying for Nat Gas (and with the thermostat at 60 - 65) - I'm far ahead - even with the pellet stoves set at 70 - 72 degrees. We're more comfortable now than we ever were with Nat Gas. Good luck searching - it is an adventure and education.

Status
Not open for further replies.