Newspapers harder to come by for starting fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CabinCamper

Mar 6, 2021
Canada
Hey, does anyone else agree that with news media going more and more online / digital, it is getting harder to find newspapers to use for starting fires? I still get the flyers but they have a lot of unhealthy colour dyes and don't light / burn very well. What are some readily available non-toxic alternatives?

Nope. Not a bit.

I having the same issue here.I start my boiler every day when it is very cold.I've started using some cardboard mixed in.

I use copy/printer paper that my kids bring home from school (I'm burning their grades). No color, no waxes etc

You could also get a weekend-only subscription to the NYT. Either you read it or you only burn it - whatever you think is the appropriate treatment

We get a yearly subscription to a small weekly newspaper. The wife likes to read it and I look at the pictures but it is just the perfect size for lighting the boiler!

Remember setting points with a dwell meter? Or rotary dial phones? There is a better way to start fires now too.

D0A443C6-69CB-459B-81E6-C7D5781BC9C9.jpeg

Remember setting points with a dwell meter? Or rotary dial phones? There is a better way to start fires now too.

View attachment 275984

I agree, but I use that to light some paper. 5 or so letter sized school work pages. I do find that the paper lasts a bit longer, gives a bit more consistent heat to light the splitting splinters I use on top. It would require the torch for a minute or so to light as many places as I do now in 5 seconds.

Also, I bought a torch from the local hardware store, and for some reason it stopped working pretty fast: the (piezo) lighter does not seem to make a spark anymore, but when I use a normal lighter to light the torch, it also doesn't work well - it seems to blow out the gas too fast and when I remove the lighter, there is no flame left, unless I dial it down to the edge of closing it completely.
It's perfectly clean, did not drop. So, I'm likely going back to the normal lighter and paper when the gas canister is empty...

Reactions: Highbeam

View attachment 275984
Yes I'm that old. Yes I use a torch to start my boiler and I save the brown packing paper that many shippers use. Better than newspaper IMO.

Yes I'm that old. Yes I use a torch to start my boiler and I save the brown packing paper that many shippers use. Better than newspaper IMO.

lol, yes, me too. The noise from the ringers on those phones...! Brown bags (around my bourbon bottles...) are very good indeed.

I have a small business,so that generates a lot of paper...
But i never have a shortage at home of paper for starting fires, so all my business paper get recycled.

Torch, pine cones and 13 year old twin boys. I make the boys clean up the pine cones from the yard, let them dry and fire'em up. The only people not happy with this system are my boys:).

Reactions: Highbeam
Having just finished my taxes, I'm in a mood, so I will say that the paper that tax instructions are printed on is quite suitable, and Uncle Sam will mail you all you order. The manila envelopes they send them in make nice file folders too.

The recycled paper egg carton stuff is great, especially if you get the big ones in the 5 dozen package. You have to let them be out of the moist fridge a couple of days before you try to use them though, and you may fail your next cholesterol screening if you take it too far!

The worst, is having a catalyst stove that shouldn't have color print. There's maybe one page in a newspaper section that doesn't have color printing these days.

If you order something from Amazon, and it comes in a box eight sizes too big, with a bunch of that brown paper - bonanza!

Of course, it could also come in a huge box filled with a ton of styrofoam pellets - well, I have more packing for when I have to send something to someone I don't particularly like.

But, yeah, I was just perking up an almost dead fire, and I was ripping pages out of an old phone book.