Next years fuel storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for advice...

I've got a storage question. I have a large shed(45L x 16W x 15H). If I place all my split wood in there is that a better idea than to have it outdoors with a waterproof tarp? I'm concerned about the air flow. Also, in the summer, my wood in the shed won't get the benefits of the summer sun.

Whats better in the shed or out?

All wood is currently "rounds". stored off the ground on pallets. 1 year old right now.

thanks for the feedback.

Even though it has been cut for a year, if you don't split it now it won't be seasoned enough for next season. Leave the wood out in the open until the end of summer then move it into your shed. The wind and sun will do more for it than keeping the rain off of it. After you do that,you get to start all over again! :lol:

I'd get it split as soon as possible and stack it outdoors through the summer. Don't cover it either. Then late fall or early winter you could move it inside and it should be good.

the wood I'm burning now,(was stored outside, up on pallets and under neath these tarps covering only the tops. sides were open). What I've noticed is, there is a lot of dirt between the splits. Looks like regular earth worms passed through and they left all these little round droppings. This dirt is up high on the stack and also low near the ground level. What is that? Thats what I'm afraid to get for next year if I leave it outside.

If there is a lot of dirt, it was there when you stacked it.

There will always be a lot of dust and even some "dirt" in a woodpile and that is one of the reasons we knock two pieces together before bringing into the house. However, there should not be enough dirt for earthworms!

btw, if you stack wood indoors, you will have much sweeping to do once the shed is empty of wood. Just face the fact that wood is dirty and work with it.

Once again though, outside is the very best place to season wood. In the wind is best and even better if you can have some sun.

FYI, we have a 7 year supply of firewood on hand and it is all outdoors. It is left uncovered the first summer and then we cover the top only, usually with old metal roofing, but we do sometimes use a tarp or two if we have too much wood and not enough roofing. We've never had a problem like you are speaking of, but is surely is nice burning nicely seasoned wood.

jj3500 said:
Looking for advice...

I've got a storage question. I have a large shed(45L x 16W x 15H). If I place all my split wood in there is that a better idea than to have it outdoors with a waterproof tarp? I'm concerned about the air flow. Also, in the summer, my wood in the shed won't get the benefits of the summer sun.

Whats better in the shed or out?

All wood is currently "rounds". stored off the ground on pallets. 1 year old right now.

thanks for the feedback.

My preference is to have firewood under a roof. If your shed is decently vented I'd put it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.