No Smoking Light Came On

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I fired-up the Keystone tonight for a small shoulder season burn - just to knock off the chill through morning.

Loaded the stove with some pine vs my normal oak and interestingly enough while in cat bypass, I was getting secondaries with a stove top at 105 degrees, so I engaged the cat and it lit off! So much for 200 or 250 degrees stove top temps before engaging the cat. I think it is good that I've got the newer stainless steel cat as tonigh's low temp light-off could have been some serious thermal shock for the ceramic ones.

So - within a few seconds of engaging the cat, it started glowing orange - like a bright light. Like a bright no smoking light as no smoke is going out the chimney, just a nice clean low temp burn.

Nice.

Thanks,
Bill

Since I installed my cat probe thermometer I've been engaging much sooner as well. The cat temp reaches 400-600 degrees pretty quickly in like 15-20 minutes while the stove top could only be around 100-150. Like you said, I don't think I'd do it with the ceramic cats but no fear of thermo shock with the stainless cats.

That is good news. Did the stove temp continue to climb quickly or did it stay really low?

As soon as you engage the cat, temps climb quickly. The probe jumps up over 1000 in 5-10 minutes, soapstone top slower to react but can get up over 500 in 45 minutes from cold start.

At Woodstock this past weekend I watched wood being put into the Fireview and the cat was engaged within about 2 minutes. Many folks got down so they could look at the cat and all were surprised to see it glowing bright red. Also, at the time, the stove top was not really hot but sorry I can not tell you what the exact temperature was. My memory banks are overloaded at present.

Making it seem like the steel cat would be a good investment.?

Yeah, the biggest advantage of the new s/s scoop and cat, quicker lite offs and no chance of thermo shock so you can engage sooner during reloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.