Nor'easter watch thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I couldn't beleive how fast it piled up...just amazing.

Here's what happened when I tried to go deal with it.

Its was all a muddy mess underneath, ground is nowhere near frozen and the bottom inch or so of this stuff was slush so it was very greasy too. Right when I rounded that corner on the driveway the front tires lost their bite and I sild off the side...couple attempts at freing the truck just spun the tires and dug ruts in the mud and moved it down the hill a bit further.

My neighbor's ex came by in his 1 ton Chevy Duramax and v plow and we were going to chain on the the front and pull it up wiht his truck. except right when he got past my truck his back wheels slipped a bi and his wheel caught my plow and ripped the valve stem off. So we had to shovel another 30 feet of driveway and in order to get him unhooked I had to actually back my truck down the hill a bit further. He eventually got out and a few hours later a friend of mine came by with an old fashioned come-along/chain fall and we dragged the back end sideways up the hill and when we got it up far enough we were able to pull it out with his wife's Durango.

Got a good dent in the side of my truck where it came to a rest up against that skinny tree, but I think it might pop out...no paint damage.

Caught me off guard like everyone else. haven't even put my coat of paint on the plow...as you can see.

Attachments

• truckstuck.jpg
    truckstuck.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 419
fishingpol said:
Ok gotcha. I can understand leaving it unattended.

Or come back to find it missing. People will get desperate when the store runs out. My friend's generator quit and he figured it was out of gas, but went out to find it 1/2 way down the driveway in someone else's truck.

I figure if the choice was jail or coming home to a cold house full of women with no hot water, at least the lights are on in prison till 10pm. The showers only slightly more dangerous.

btuser said:
fishingpol said:
Ok gotcha. I can understand leaving it unattended.

Or come back to find it missing. People will get desperate when the store runs out. My friend's generator quit and he figured it was out of gas, but went out to find it 1/2 way down the driveway in someone else's truck.

I figure if the choice was jail or coming home to a cold house full of women with no hot water, at least the lights are on in prison till 10pm. The showers only slightly more dangerous.

:ahhh: Anchor the gen-set! :gulp:

GAMMA RAY said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Gamma a notice the 30 has a new name

Yep the new name is Chief...
sweet, but strong and bold...like someone I "know"... :)
George digs the name too...
The name Beulah sucked...
:) :) :) ;-)

btuser said:
I'd chew through a chain to shut my woman up.

Guess thats why I have what I have. Nothing short of the house blowing up where good to go. 14,15,16 year old girls round it out. One Dog 2 cats and 17 chickens all female. When they are all one the same side, Jail sounds pretty good.

smokinjay said:
Guess thats why I have what I have. Nothing short of the house blowing up where good to go. 14,15,16 year old girls round it out. One Dog 2 cats and 17 chickens all female. When they are all one the same side, Jail sounds pretty good.

My nomination for post of the year. :lol:

LMAO !! Mine, too !

The internet is back! Posting from the blackberry was getting a little tedious-I was feeding the furnace and noticed that the modem was once again blinking. I can't say enough about how helpful this site has been over the years. It really hit home when I was at Lowes the other night watching people carting out $5 bundles of wood and Duraflame logs. I talked to a neighbor who knows a lot of the volunteer firefighters-they said that chimney fires have been rampant from people trying to burn god-knows-what in fireplaces and woodstoves with flues that have never been cleaned. The knowledge I've gained here is truly invaluable. I heard a rumor that power might be back tonight but so far it's yet to come true. I was outside getting ready to fire up the generator before and got a really eerie feeling. Between the smell of smoke in the air, the hum of generators, the fact that the neighborhood is almost completely pitch black, and the fact that the cops are driving around on their loudspeakers telling folks where the shelter is and where to get ice and water, its very surreal. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Adios Pantalones said:
bought a deep-cycle marine battery and a charger- I'll run a cord and inverter tomorrow

A bag of corn meal and a can of Crisco would have been cheaper.

Just sayin...

Flatbedford said:
Frozen Canuck said:
BTW what is up with all this "power out here" stuff? We get winter here every year but never any of this power out stuff, unless of course some fool parks their vehicle on a power pole.

Just curious why so many of you (on the East coast) seem to be without power every time there is a storm?

Please don't tell me it's because you hang your power lines in the tree branches like they do in the Dominican Rep, cause I probably won't believe you. ;-)

We don't hang the wires in the trees, we hang 'em under trees.

This tree took out our power at 2 pm Saturday. We are told it will be back my Wednesday, 11 pm. I have a cord from my neighbor's genny. One 20 amp line for the house. Plenty of juggling between one the two refrigerators or the furnace for hot water. Good to have the woodstove. Gas range doesn't hurt either.

Yep that's pretty much the picture I had in my mind of why so many outages? Different up here. Any tree whether on public or private land that could threaten a powerline if it were to fall is removed, no questions, explanations or complaints, they show up, tell you those trees are going & bang there gone. They just finished work on our property two weeks ago. Works for us, however I can see why you might want to keep it the way it is down there.

BrotherBart said:
smokinjay said:

Jay...you poor bahstard..... :lol: :lol: :coolsmile:

smokinjay said:
btuser said:
I'd chew through a chain to shut my woman up.

Jay, The chickens can be dealt with to help level the playing field. Gravy and potatoes with that anyone?

Frozen Canuck said:
Flatbedford said:
Frozen Canuck said:
BTW what is up with all this "power out here" stuff? We get winter here every year but never any of this power out stuff, unless of course some fool parks their vehicle on a power pole.

Just curious why so many of you (on the East coast) seem to be without power every time there is a storm?

Please don't tell me it's because you hang your power lines in the tree branches like they do in the Dominican Rep, cause I probably won't believe you. ;-)

We don't hang the wires in the trees, we hang 'em under trees.

This tree took out our power at 2 pm Saturday. We are told it will be back my Wednesday, 11 pm. I have a cord from my neighbor's genny. One 20 amp line for the house. Plenty of juggling between one the two refrigerators or the furnace for hot water. Good to have the woodstove. Gas range doesn't hurt either.

Yep that's pretty much the picture I had in my mind of why so many outages? Different up here. Any tree whether on public or private land that could threaten a powerline if it were to fall is removed, no questions, explanations or complaints, they show up, tell you those trees are going & bang there gone. They just finished work on our property two weeks ago. Works for us, however I can see why you might want to keep it the way it is down there.

The power company just came through and cleared around the lines last summer. Maybe they'll clear a little further next time.

With all the storms we've had in the past 3 years I can't believe I'm still out of power. Pretty crazy. First came ice and down came the pines. Then came wind that toppled anything without a tap root, and now the oaks and their leaves.

Still out of power, and just about to run out of fresh undies. Come to think of it, I do most of my clothes shopping when the power is off.

I hear you on the laundry thing!

GAMMA RAY said:
BrotherBart said:
smokinjay said:

There is days when I walk in with the OMG, quick grab a saw and headphone and dont make eye contact.

mayhem said:

Its was all a muddy mess underneath, ground is nowhere near frozen and the bottom inch or so of this stuff was slush so it was very greasy too. Right when I rounded that corner on the driveway the front tires lost their bite and I sild off the side...couple attempts at freing the truck just spun the tires and dug ruts in the mud and moved it down the hill a bit further.

Do you run chains?
(Never needed them?)
Think it would've helped?

smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:
BrotherBart said:
smokinjay said:

There is days when I walk in with the OMG, quick grab a saw and headphone and dont make eye contact.

Eye contact is very very important....avoid it at all costs brother..... :cheese: :lol:
Just sayin....(my husband wants to know where I got that....the "just saying" thang...)I wonder where? :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Adios Pantalones said:
bought a deep-cycle marine battery and a charger- I'll run a cord and inverter tomorrow

A bag of corn meal and a can of Crisco would have been cheaper.

Just sayin...

Oh bb, that there is just wicked evil.

Power back after 66 hours out. New record, as the nh ice storm only put me down for 60. Gen set kept the fridge and freezer cold and the woodstove kept the people warm. Only a few good sized branches dropped and a birch fell over. All in all, we came out in pretty good shape.

granpajohn said:
mayhem said:

Do you run chains?
(Never needed them?)
Think it would've helped?

I've never driven a vehicle with chains and the only time I've ever seen them apart from my snowblower is on the 2wd mail trucks. The pickup is m daily driver and chains aren't really a good option for me.

Doubt they would have helped in any case. The tires are excellent and nearly new, very deep tread and lots of siping...this was just a really slippery storm. Bottom inch or so was greasy slush, even lifetime professional plowers like my brother in law got their come uppance this past weekend. City plow trucks were stuck or slid off the roads around here too.

The only thing that would have realistically helped would have been if I had been further in from the edge of the driveway. when I was just about through the corner my tires lost their grip and the truck just went off faster than you csn say boo! Can't go slower or you won't move any snow.

POWER IS BACK!!! We had an awful day in Philadelphia yesterday but came home to the nice surprise of the lights being on. As some of you know my daughter has a lung condition and we met with a surgeon at Children's Hospital yesterday for a consult-she will need the right lower lobe of her lung completely removed and possible a portion of the left lower lobe as well. We had to leave the house at 5:00 to be in Philly by 7:00 for some tests so my dad had to come up to the house to run the generator while we were gone. It was going to be a tough day on its own, but having to be there so early, have our little girl poked and prodded, and then have to talk about opening her up and taking a piece out of her lung on little sleep and no hot shower since Saturday was terrible. People in Philly were shocked by what was going on just two hours to the north-they had assumed that it was just a simple snowstorm that had created some mayhem for a day and then melted. We are definitely the lucky ones though-half of our town is still out. My wife tried to go to her mother's house today just so grandma could spend a little time with the baby and literally couldn't get there. She tried three different routes (my in-laws live in Sussex County, NJ, about an hour north)-all were blocked by downed trees or crews working to clear trees/wires. Hopefully this will be all resolved by the end of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.