not 100% scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Ok , I admit paying $40.00 for a 10 yard roll off dumpster isn't really considered a scrounge. But what the heck all Locust and Cherry cut to 18" rounds and some 2 to 3 " log length isn't a bad price. Diameters are average 12"-20". I offered the $40 to seal the deal . Hope to have delivery Sunday or Monday. Pics will come to forum when wood received. Not a true scrounge but I would need $40 in gas to make multiple trips with my little ford ranger so I figured he cuts and delivers I'm ok with the deal. I'm guessing about 2 to 3 cords if 10 yard dumpster is full. Scoped the pile yet to be loaded into dumpster and that was over 2 cords.

If it were easier access than other wood I had available to me for free I'd do the same thing. Sounds like a good deal to me. Can't beat locust or cherry in my book. A year and a 1/2 from now I have a nice stash of locust that will be ready (probably 3/4 of the winter's wood). I'm looking forward to getting into that.

pen

I'll wait until pics to make my final judgement, but as you present it, I can't imagine it being a waste of money. I'd jump all over it if it were me. Well done.

Sounds like a deal to me. I'm assuming you have a power splitter. Today, we split a bunch of Black Cherry. I'm hoping it will be dry in three months. Your 2-3" logs will, for sure. ;-)

Sounds okay to me too.

Hell for 40 bucks that is close enough to call it a scrounge.

Shawn

I think this qualifies as a scrounge. At that price, you're getting the wood for free and are paying the man $40 for his gas and labor to bring it to you.
You saved yourself the gas money and the time it would have taken you to bring it all home. That's a good scrounge in my book. I'd even go so far as to exclaim "SCORE!!"

But we still want to see pictures!

$40 for gas is peanuts for all the great wood you'll be getting.

Hay, if its already cut to length and its getting dropped where You want it.....I'd say its worth every penny.

Think about the time it would take to cut it, load it, gas, oil, wear on chain/equipment/body? ;-)

Unless he is stacking the rounds, you aren't getting anywhere near 3 cord in a 10 yard dumpster. My guess is the guy doing the stacking is operating a skid steer. $40 is a good deal if its locust even if it is only a cord and a half though.

No, not 100% scrounge but it is 100% wood pile and that is spelled success! On top of that I don't know of anywhere I can pick up a 10 yard load for $40 if I have to do the driving so I think you get a double score.

Adrp...I call that good business. To me, it's all about "getting a deal" when it comes to getting firewood. I would absolutely prefer a free scrounge, but that isn't always possible in my case. Good stuff.

Thanks for al lthe positive replys. I rode past the dumpster on the way home from work tonight and he has put the remaing pile of locust iinto the dumpster. He was finishing up with his "BOB Cat" loader. If hes a man of his word I should get a phone call tomorrow for drop off. I told the family to clear the driveway of cars and have the camera ready for pics. ( need assistance from the computer wiz kids for pic upload) I'll be back when I can , see you soon

SolarAndWood said:
Unless he is stacking the rounds, you aren't getting anywhere near 3 cord in a 10 yard dumpster. My guess is the guy doing the stacking is operating a skid steer. $40 is a good deal if its locust even if it is only a cord and a half though.
I'm sure your right about load size, I may have gotten a bit carried away about volume when I got the drop off offer. Kinda like a kid saying the fish was "huge" when first caught.

Attachments

• IMG02921-20110801-1940aug2911.jpg
    IMG02921-20110801-1940aug2911.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG02920-20110801-1939 aug 2011.jpg
    IMG02920-20110801-1939 aug 2011.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 214
adrpga498 said:
SolarAndWood said:
I'm sure your right about load size, I may have gotten a bit carried away about volume when I got the drop off offer. Kinda like a kid saying the fish was "huge" when first caught.
NOt great pics but at least it "did happen"

Thats a lazy mans scronge.....I Like it! ;-)

That looks like a good deal to me. Now get it all processed and stacked so we can see now much you got.

Yes, I got lucky . Caught it on craiglist about 1hr after he posted. He had his own roll off dumpster and was a win -win ,he had to get rid of the wood asap to apesase builder to clear his lot.

Danno77 said:
That looks like a good deal to me. Now get it all processed and stacked so we can see now much you got.

Could be a few days , 2012-2013 wood so I can wait a bit till the heat wave passes. Although I will move to the back of the yard so neighbors don't think I'm Jed Clampet.

That's a nice pile of wood delivered for 40 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.