Not done with the good wood yet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firefighterjake said:
cptoneleg said:
Is siver (sugar) maple not good wood? I burn 80% oak but always have put all the wood together, this will be first yr that I have seperated my types of wood. I have about 1 full cord stacked for next season. So is it not good wood?

When a man (or woman) is cold and doesn't have any fire, it matters not what the wood is . . . but only that they have wood. All wood is good wood in my book . . . but many folks consider silver maple to not be so good . . . at least when stacked up to sugar maple which is desirable. Silver maple is a bit lower on the BTU scale compared to oak, sugar maple, etc.[/quot

I was told by folks around here that silver and sugar maple are the same I will have to post pictures to see what I have.

cptoneleg said:
Is siver (sugar) maple not good wood? I burn 80% oak but always have put all the wood together, this will be first yr that I have seperated my types of wood. I have about 1 full cord stacked for next season. So is it not good wood?

Silver maple is fine, especially for northern VA climate.

rdust said:
I've been burning silver maple lately and was hoping to finish out the season with it. Well looking at the forecast I don't think that's going to happen. Teens for Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. I guess I'll have to bring some ash back in.

3-4 inches of snow fell today, I'm ready for this to be over. Last week I had one night where I didn't need to load the stove, that was nice!

rdust, I just checked the weather and they are saying the east will not warm up until late April. Looks like some sugar maple and beech will come in with the cherry. :coolgrin:

zap

cptoneleg said:

I find silver maple to be a great wood when I don't need the fire to last as long. When I'm away for 11-12 hours during the day if I load up with ash or oak I come home to a great coal bed, if I load with silver maple I'm lucky to find a few hot coals. I'm mixing half and half right now and that's doing fine.

cptoneleg said:
firefighterjake said:
cptoneleg said:

When a man (or woman) is cold and doesn't have any fire, it matters not what the wood is . . . but only that they have wood. All wood is good wood in my book . . . but many folks consider silver maple to not be so good . . . at least when stacked up to sugar maple which is desirable. Silver maple is a bit lower on the BTU scale compared to oak, sugar maple, etc.[/quot

I was told by folks around here that silver and sugar maple are the same I will have to post pictures to see what I have.

There is a big difference between silver maple and sugar maple -- they are most certainly not the same tree species.

No warm up until end of April!!?? YIKES....I may yet use the wood I was hoping to add to next year's pile. Still, cool temps are good cuttin' weather! :)

Looking at accuweather, that is not true. Looks good for the week after next. However, you always have to question things. For example, NOAA forecast us to be 5 degrees tonight. Accuweather says 26. Now that is a big difference!!! Our present temperature is 27.

The good news for us is that there has been very little wind since the ice but lots of sunshine. Today lots of the ice has fallen from the trees. That is a big relief. Now hopefully the snow/ice will fall from the pines too before any high wind. I'd sure like to see 50 degrees again too.

Status
Not open for further replies.