Not Sure I Got a Full Cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe I'm too fastidious a first time firewood buyer. He shared with me how he measured and said he calculated his dump trailer to be a bit over 128 cubic feet. Then he says he checked it several times with a cord of wood that had been measured at 8' L x 4' H x 4' W and tossed it in the dump trailer to make sure it was correct. He says his measuring stick in the trailer that indicated the level of wood for a cord was moved by someone who borrowed his trailer and so that was the reason for my shortfall.

A good guy and hopefully the wood will burn well. Stacked, top covered with tarp and in a sunny breezy area in the yard.

I would guess he is probably newish as a wood seller as well. Since my arthritis got really bad about 18 months ago i have gotten pretty good at seeing a dumped pile of splits in my driveway and "knowing" if that pile will stack out to two cords or not.

My guess is your seller will pretty soon not need a measuring stick in his trailer if his customers are keeping him honest along the way.

Thanks for all the replies. My moisture reading was not on a fresh split so maybe I'm getting wetter wood than I thought. Some of it was punky - not much (<2% of overall delivery). Mostly very dry sounding when you hit them together (like a bat hitting a ball and not a wet "thud"). The guy came back and measured my stacks (I wasn't home at the time otherwise I would have talked with him during measuring). He delivered and stacked additional wood that gets me closer to 3 cords but he's using a dump trailer and I think he's measuring 128 cubic feet by figuring out how full his trailer needs to be. Anyway, we'll see how it all burns. Feeling better but also feeling like I probably just need to scrounge my own wood to feel satisfied.

Just an FYI I have some oak that is 12-14% on the face with my moisture meter and 30% inside on a new split. You might want to split some and check it to make sure it will be usable for this winter.