Oak flooring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I have a substantial amount of oak flooring that was torn out from a remodel. It is only about 1/4" thick, 2" wide and no tongue and groove, looks allot like lath. It is from the 60's I'm guessing. It has some sort of light finish on one side, more than just stain. I'm guessing either varnish or laquer, just based on the age, definitely not polyurethane. I'd really like to use it as kindling in my tube stove. Terrible idea? Any tips on how to id the finish that's on it?

tube stove? let 'er rip. only use a few pieces though; they take off fast.

i had 2.25" x .5" T&G oak flooring with some kind of finish as well. burns great.

I burn Un-finished 3/4 oak flooring to start all my fires. For me it's free from work, and gets the cat up to temp quickly. Anything with a finish is toxic so be careful.

I burn Un-finished 3/4 oak flooring to start all my fires. For me it's free from work, and gets the cat up to temp quickly. Anything with a finish is toxic so be careful.
Including varnish, shellac, and oil? Is your orientation one of modern finishes?

Including varnish, shellac, and oil? Is your orientation one of modern finishes?

Varnish is a very, very broad term. Shellac is a varnish. Lacquer is a varnish. Polyurethane is a varnish. Is there any specific reason you don't think it's poly?

Rub the wood with any alcohol, if it dissolves it's shellac. Rub it with acetone. If it dissolves, it lacquer. If neither of those work, you could have any number of finishes.

Terrible idea?

I wouldn't call it a terrible idea, but I wouldn't use the stuff. It's not as easy as saying "shellac is safe to eat" therefore there is no harm in burning shellac covered wood. You really have no idea what has been mixed in along with the finish or stain - Boiled linseed oil contains metallic dryers, for example, although I'm not sure of the exact time where this became standard. Further, toxic compounds, such as lead, were commonly added to many substances before they were banned - including some wood finishes if I recall correctly.

Plus, burning is a chemical reaction - what you put in is NOT what comes out. Just because something like pure raw linseed oil is safe to eat doesn't mean you be breathing the stuff.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Varnish is a very, very broad term. Shellac is a varnish. Lacquer is a varnish. Polyurethane is a varnish. Is there any specific reason you don't think it's poly?

Rub the wood with any alcohol, if it dissolves it's shellac. Rub it with acetone. If it dissolves, it lacquer. If neither of those work, you could have any number of finishes.

I wouldn't call it a terrible idea, but I wouldn't use the stuff. It's not as easy as saying "shellac is safe to eat" therefore there is no harm in burning shellac covered wood. You really have no idea what has been mixed in along with the finish or stain - Boiled linseed oil contains metallic dryers, for example, although I'm not sure of the exact time where this became standard. Further, toxic compounds, such as lead, were commonly added to many substances before they were banned - including some wood finishes if I recall correctly.

Plus, burning is a chemical reaction - what you put in is NOT what comes out. Just because something like pure raw linseed oil is safe to eat doesn't mean you be breathing the stuff.
All excellent points. I'm relatively certain it is from the 60's. And I can tell it's not polyurethane from its age, the way it looks since it's been outside (for over 10 years). All that said, there could be anything in it, assuming it's from the 60's. Would be great if there was some easy way to tell what it is. I was hoping to hear that the secondaries would burn it into harmlessness, but i suppose it would be stupid and careless if I can't figure out what it is.