OBD II and your smartphone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
Anyone using a bluetooth OBD II adapter and the Torque app for android? Thinking about spending the $25. Be a pretty cheap scan tool, and looks like fun to play with. Seems to get pretty good reviews.

I use torque. I've used it to read codes on a number of cars, but whats even more fun is using the real time data displays.

You can set it up as an eco meter and use it to hypermile by watching the instantaneous and average MPG, fuel injector trim, engine load etc....OR you can use it as a performance app and watch instantaneous wheel HP, g loads and record acceleration times (need to accurately input data like the vehicle loaded weight etc for this to work)

The real expense however is the ODB adapter itself. Ive heard the cheap ones have lots of compatibility issues and I purchases the PLX Devices Kiwi. $99 bucks but still far cheaper than a dedicated scan tool with the capabilities of this app.

The guy I know that uses it has a cheap ebay adapter and it works good. From what I found, many say they have good luck with the cheapies. I'll probably take a $20 chance on one. I really just want to read codes. I might play with it and see if I want to buy the paid version of the app. Looks pretty cool.

Interesting. My scanner lives in my truck. I'm usually breaking it out at least once a week for people at work.

I really just want to read codes.
Why not just get a cheapie hand held code reader?Can be had on the cheap, depending on the features you require. Unless of course your into the techie stuff.

A buddy of mine gave me one of those bluetooth OBDII adapters, so I downloaded Torque to my phone and my tablet.

It's a pretty sweet toy (er, tool)!

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.