Ok, I figured out how to save a lot of wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
DSC02741.JPG Not completly recomended though. You guys are going to love this one. My wife is expecting.........man she's always too hot. We had a frost last night and she got up at 2 to open the window and had the fan on, I'm looking of another blanket. As I type the house is 61 and she is still too warm.
Doesn't bother me though, as every split I c/s/s is patiently waiting for the inferno is giving up yet even more of that evil moisture to the all so accepting air.

TS

This what happens in Maine during cold periods of the winter - ever wonder why most of the kids have Sept-Nov b-days?

Tried to explain this to the nurses while I was waiting for the anesthiesioligist to shoot my herniated disk a few septembers ago. She was extremely busy that day administering edpiderals on the maternity floor. Apparently subtracting 9months from September and deducing it was really cold around that time was difficult.

LOL, you know it's true........ in school there were an unusually high number of B-days in the early fall/ winter months. Mine's in Dec.....

TS

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yeah i was born in Nov. of my 7 brothers&sisters 1feb, 3march, 1may, 1aug, 1sept.
I don't think my folks really worried if it was cold or not

LOL

nice stash....mine is going through menopause so she has a tendency to be on the warm side too. problem is, she'll turn cold all of a sudden too. i get used to it, have the wood ready to go. looks like my basement a few years ago when i had hand surgery. i loaded up about 1.5 cord in the basement and was good to go until healed.

cass

View attachment 75039 Not completly recomended though. You guys are going to love this one. My wife is expecting.........man she's always too hot. We had a frost last night and she got up at 2 to open the window and had the fan on, I'm looking of another blanket. As I type the house is 61 and she is still too warm.
Doesn't bother me though, as every split I c/s/s is patiently waiting for the inferno is giving up yet even more of that evil moisture to the all so accepting air.

TS
More importantly, what do you have going on with all those water pipes and empty valves?!?

Haha, you noticed, those are the two zones for the upstairs. The wood is on the ground level, house is on a slab. Two 3/4" are for CI rads in bedrooms (not installed of course) and the 1" is for the possibility of oil backup.... only if I get sick and can't burn wood. The other zones are hooked up, just to the right of the pic. Thats all 1-1/4" primary loop, with 1" feeding the indirect. The flow check is a homebrew weighted one......long story, it works well.

TS

Attachments

• DSC02744.JPG
    DSC02744.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
As I type the house is 61
Brutal! If it gets to 67 in here, I'm firing up. If I'm just sitting around in this drafty place, my feet will get chilled if the temp drops much lower. At 61, I would be wearing a tee shirt, a turtleneck, another tee shirt over that and a heavy shirt on top, a pair of sweatpants, a liner sock, a wool sock and some shoes. Or in bed with a down comforter over me. :oops: I'm to get around to fixing some air leaks, but I still don't think 61 will be getting it. If I'm moving around, maybe a couple less layers. ::F

WOW looks like you have a small fortune in copper there! Do yall not have pex or cpvc up there(if code allows).

Oh I just like copper...... looks nice, makes people drool, and is tried and true for 80+ years. Plus you get to use FIRE putting it all together ;) PEX is king with all new installs and retro. I did all mine in coppe though for above stated reasons. 1600' of pex in the slab though.

TS

Reactions: tfdchief
Not gonna happen here. :eek:;ex
I'll cut , split & stack more wood. Lots more wood. Tons of more wood.
:)

Brutal! If it gets to 67 in here, I'm firing up. If I'm just sitting around in this drafty place, my feet will get chilled if the temp drops much lower. At 61, I would be wearing a tee shirt, a turtleneck, another tee shirt over that and a heavy shirt on top, a pair of sweatpants, a liner sock, a wool sock and some shoes. Or in bed with a down comforter over me. :oops: I'm to get around to fixing some air leaks, but I still don't think 61 will be getting it. If I'm moving around, maybe a couple less layers. ::F

Our house was 59 this afternoon, chimney can't get cleaned out soon enough!

Not gonna happen here. :eek:;ex
I'll cut , split & stack more wood. Lots more wood. Tons of more wood.
:)

I always said the same thing dave.....
wood is much cheaper.
TS

It's gonna have to be below 65 inside in the middle of the day for me to fire up...

House was 62 when I got home today. Thought about building my first fire of the season, then saw my 7 year old son running around in just his boxers. I decided to just put on a sweater....

Congrats to you and the expecting wife!

I had black out months for my wife when we were trying, no October or November birthdays, those months are off limits. No way I'm screwing up the hunting season with birthdays for the rest of my days. ;) I have two kids both born on April 16th.(both natural births) :)

I just read an article on when most kids are born, July, Aug and Sept were the top 3 with sept 24th being the day most people have bdays.

House was 62 when I got home today. Thought about building my first fire of the season, then saw my 7 year old son running around in just his boxers. I decided to just put on a sweater....
My 2 and 5 year old boys are rarely fully clothed, and hardly ever cold, must be nice!

This what happens in Maine during cold periods of the winter - ever wonder why most of the kids have Sept-Nov b-days?

Tried to explain this to the nurses while I was waiting for the anesthiesioligist to shoot my herniated disk a few septembers ago. She was extremely busy that day administering edpiderals on the maternity floor. Apparently subtracting 9months from September and deducing it was really cold around that time was difficult.

My wife once had a patient from northern Maine who had something like 12 or 13 kids . . . when she was asking him about them he said that in northern Maine there are only three things to do in the winter: snowmobile, drink or make babies . . . and he wasn't big on sledding or drinking.

Of course one could argue that there are many other things to do in northern Maine in the winter -- such as ice fishing, skiing or snow shoeing . . . or one could even argue that many of these activities are often combined together -- such as the drinking and making babies. :) :)

---

61 degrees, huh? I've got my oil boiler to kick on at 60 degrees . . . and typically I'm firing up the woodstove if the temp is in the mid-60s. I like the winter . . . but I also like cheap heat . . . plus I'm not sure if getting my wife pregnant is such a good idea . . . the world is not ready for FFJake Jr. ;)

The original post made me laugh. My wife is usually cold natured, where I used to be hot natured. Could be 75 in the house and she complains of being cold. But when she is pregnant, she could not get cold enough. She was more "frisky" too. I enjoyed those 9 months. But after 4 kids, the last two being twins, we are out of the baby business. Since then I have lost a lot of weight, and now I am cold a majority of the time. Before and after. Pushing 300 in the first pic and probably 215 in the second.
sidebyside.JPG

I like the matching attire mudbug!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.