Old cement and liner—needs new liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crozetian

Dec 31, 2022
Crozet, va
I have lived in my house 3 years and have used my woodstove with no big problems. Chimney cleaner #1 came the first year and said it looked ok but maybe needed a new liner soonish. Chimney sweep #2 came this year, tells me there are cracked tiles and the chimney is unusable right now, and that he can’t put a liner in because it appears the chimney flue itself is only 6”. You can see in the chimney that and old liner of some sort is deteriorating in place. I’m in touch with the former owner of the house. He tells me “3 decades ago I put an 8” stove pipe down the chimney and poured cement slurry around it.” So that’s what we’re dealing with. Going to have chimney sweep #1 return for a second opinion. But is there any advice here for this situation? #2 doesn’t think he can get a new 6” liner in there. Any alternative liners I might look into? How safe (assuming structural integrity intact) is 30 years old cement around stovepipe? Chimney is brick but behind drywall on the interior.

In this case I'd think you'd have a chance of getting an insulated liner in there...total OD roughly 7.5"
Another option in this case might be to use 1/4" insulation, instead of 1/2"...maybe? (~7" OD)

In this case I'd think you'd have a chance of getting an insulated liner in there...total OD roughly 7.5"
Another option in this case might be to use 1/4" insulation, instead of 1/2"...maybe?
One issue is that I don’t think the old owners story matches up—I think maybe he put a 6” stovepipe in there rather than an 8” and thus no room for a new 6” liner. Chimney sweep says there’s no room for a 6” liner in there. Wondering if there are any alternatives to get around this.

how tall and what stove?

Depending on the stove and the chimney height, might could go to a 5.5" liner and no insulation?

It maybe easier / cheaper to bight the bullet, knock the old chimney down and replace w/ class A pipe, I'm sure its not what you want to hear but think of the labor trying to chip out an old liner to install a stainless-steel insulated liner, still need a new thimble and stuff, might as well go out with the old and in with the new for only 12ft worth of chimney.

Yes, this is what I don’t want to hear 😂 but what I’m fearing. Chimney is inside drywall and none of it is on an exterior wall, so probably not worth me trying to rip it out and replace. If there are smaller possible liners that would work, might try that. Just not sure if possible.

12 ft is short for going smaller than 6”, Chances are you won’t be happy with the results. It’s unsafe. What do you have to loose but sore muscles trying to chip it out? If you can’t then. It’s all gotta go. Drywall isn’t hard. Not fun though.

If they actually poured a cement slurry around the pipe you aren't getting it out. It just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: EbS-P
12 ft is short for going smaller than 6”, Chances are you won’t be happy with the results. It’s unsafe. What do you have to loose but sore muscles trying to chip it out? If you can’t then. It’s all gotta go. Drywall isn’t hard. Not fun though.
Those circulators are easy breathers though....I'd bet it'd work on a 5.5" liner

If they actually poured a cement slurry around the pipe you aren't getting it out. It just isn't going to happen.
So, that’s the thing. I spoke on the phone to another sweep yesterday with decades of local experience and highly recommended. He said he didn’t even need to see it (which I don’t love, but he did clean it last year) and said that the chimney is fine as is and I don’t need a liner. Says that I’ve got the old stovepipe (deteriorating), then the cement poured around it 30 years ago, then the clay tiles, then the brick. Says not to worry and to keep burning hot fires and I’ll be ok. I definitely respect his knowledge but still has me a bit worried. Attaching the video made by the sweep who cleaned it last week. You can see that it’s pretty clean now, but you can see cracks, I guess in the cement that was poured around the now deteriorated stovepipe. Am I worrying too much?

I wonder how you made out - did you not end up getting a new liner yet? I was told by the chimney cleaner I need one. Not surprised as the house is almost 70 years old. Before the crew came I cleaned out the access door to the chimney in the basement. There was evidence of mortar (I think) and brick deterioration. Mine should be routine I hope since it never had a liner, but needless to say a big expense.

That's just the one side - I'll need one for the fireplace (wood stove) side as well, I just can't do both this year. The stove has been working fine, the flue didn't even looked that bad when I looked at it (just the furnace side was cleaned) but I know the proper installation would be with a liner. A neighbor has a wood stove specific chimney, not sure what they're called - a round metal pipe alongside the chimney. I'll guess that would be even more expensive than a liner.