Timo Posted By Timo, Oct 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM

1. Timo

Timo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Sperryville
    I've got an old VC Defiant and was wondering if someone could estimate its manufacturing year. The production plate around backside of it can't be deciphered except for the serial no. which is 01977 or 017393, it's very hard to read. Would appreciate any ideas on what year it was made and any other thoughts on this wonderful wood stove. Thanks, Tim

2. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Post a pic, please.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Timo

Timo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Sperryville
    Here's a photo. What do you think?

Attached Files:

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It will be somewhere between 1977 and 1985. This particular stove has the short leg kit. Which was for installing in a fireplace. Is it sitting on a concrete slab?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Timo

Timo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Sperryville
    Thanks, I was under the impression it was early 1990s so your estimate is much earlier. Any idea what it might be worth? Range, of course depending on condition but it works.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The worth will depend on the market and location. In New England with some cleaning up this might fetch $800-1000 right now if it's in great working condition or $600 for average condition. I'm not sure how much it would see for In rural VA. Maybe more in the $4-600 range?

7. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    Open the front doors, look at the fireback. If there is not a horizontal seam running from one side to the other its a very early one. if there is any warping or cracks on the fireback, its basically worthless, parts are available to fix but not worth the money unless its got sentimental value. Otherwise unless it needs resealing my standard guess is $300 to $600.

They were a great stove when new, but technology has left them behind.

8. Timo

Timo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 13, 2018
    Loc:
    Sperryville