Old(er) Vermont Castings Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timo

Oct 13, 2018
Sperryville
I've got an old VC Defiant and was wondering if someone could estimate its manufacturing year. The production plate around backside of it can't be deciphered except for the serial no. which is 01977 or 017393, it's very hard to read. Would appreciate any ideas on what year it was made and any other thoughts on this wonderful wood stove. Thanks, Tim

Here's a photo. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20181013_152438.jpg
    20181013_152438.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 229
It will be somewhere between 1977 and 1985. This particular stove has the short leg kit. Which was for installing in a fireplace. Is it sitting on a concrete slab?

Thanks, I was under the impression it was early 1990s so your estimate is much earlier. Any idea what it might be worth? Range, of course depending on condition but it works.

The worth will depend on the market and location. In New England with some cleaning up this might fetch $800-1000 right now if it's in great working condition or $600 for average condition. I'm not sure how much it would see for In rural VA. Maybe more in the $4-600 range?

Last edited:
Open the front doors, look at the fireback. If there is not a horizontal seam running from one side to the other its a very early one. if there is any warping or cracks on the fireback, its basically worthless, parts are available to fix but not worth the money unless its got sentimental value. Otherwise unless it needs resealing my standard guess is $300 to $600.

They were a great stove when new, but technology has left them behind.