Old Timberline help with pros/cons, worth changing out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hanker

Dec 21, 2022
Northern California
Hi all,

I have this old timberline insert in my house. I've been using it for 5 years or so mostly almond wood (in-laws own a ranch, get it for free), had the chimney cleaned and inspected, no issues, no buildup so its burning clean.

I was reading some places this morning trying to find a way to make it more efficient. There is no blower (maybe there used to be, no clue). I started to think it was inefficient this month, I drove to pickup a full bed of the almond wood 3 weeks ago and today its almost all gone. Before that I was just going off large piles I had outside so never really paid attention (plus I use it more often now since I have young kids and want to keep this side of the house warm).

Posted some pics hopefully it helps. Not quite sure what the brick venting above it is for please let me know if you do, there is metal in there with some cyliner spots welded in.

I usually run it all day, throw a massive log on a night and close the vents down, in the morning I can throw some smaller stuff on top of the coals and let it start over again.

Anyway posted here to see if someone can give me some info on this, is it worth replacing, is it fine as is? I was reading some forums this morning and seems these older units have a bad reputation compared to the newer stuff. I have only had issues with smoke once, just a few weeks ago it was very windy and was blowing smoke back into my house, so bad that I had to remove a log from the fire and close all the vents.

thanks for any help

320229883_667764508333084_1160763673003585971_n.jpg 319874015_919439966096557_2450619788605606902_n.jpg

Given the age of the stove the odds are there is no liner on it. If this is a slammer installer that is depending on the seal of the surround then at least that should be addressed by adding a full stainless liner.

I personally, would update it to a modern stove. It will burn less wood cleaner, take a smaller 6" liner, and will provide a nice fire view.

Given the age of the stove the odds are there is no liner on it. If this is a slammer installer that is depending on the seal of the surround then at least that should be addressed by adding a full stainless liner.

I personally, would update it to a modern stove. It will burn less wood cleaner, take a smaller 6" liner, and will provide a nice fire view.
thank you, are there any good resources on where I can research what to look for?

Is the smaller liner more efficient?

Slammer installs without a liner are no longer allowed. I am guessing that the old Timberline would need an 8" liner which is more expensive than 6". Most modern inserts take 6".

The main hearth forum has threads and reports on almost all inserts. There is also the Ratings section in the top menu bar.
Measure up the fireplace cavity, front and back. If one will fit, look at 2.5 to 3 cu ft inserts by Drolet, Osburn, Lopi, Pacific Energy, Ironstrike, and Napoleon. In catalytics, look at Blaze King, Kuma, Regency,

Reactions: Hanker