Older Appalachian 52 wood stove "need help"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my stove, the new stove and a page out of the manual. I guess the brick are lined right from the drawing.

Attachments

• Appalachian_52bay_manual.jpg
    Appalachian_52bay_manual.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 371
  • appalachian_52bay-freestanding_pic_853_detail.jpg
    appalachian_52bay-freestanding_pic_853_detail.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 470
  • App2.jpg
    App2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 341
Hey Ridgerunner30. It all good. The problem is money to buy a new stove with I should have bought the $500.00 stove from Northern tools but have to wait to get the money up for a new stove on a fix income. I have a OLD farm house it like over 100 year old been remolding here and there but getting there. I steel have 4 room that the floor need to be insulated and two rooms need insulated in the walls. So this OLD house can get drafty at times. Now as for the wood I am not able to do all the work it takes to get it ready to season. I have back problems. Now we do have a guy in Rock Hill that has a fire wood lot all ready to go but it meet not be season for 1 are 2 years maybe 6 mouth. He got the business going on, But you have to go a pick up the wood and he is expensive. Bought enough wood to burn 4 day last year and it cost me $40.00. Need to see what he sell a cord for. Buy year round to get up the wood I need to burn and let it season for 1 to 2 years be for I use it. As for the leg it a kit you can buy for $200.00 to put on the stove and it is the same stove.

Oh guy by the way I have looked at the manual and it looks to me it is the same stove,same measurement, same catalyst lay out. the only difference is door has webbing, arch and 2 draft controls. The draft control on my has been moved under the door on the new stove. The blower air come out the top of the stoves on both models. And the new stove has a hole for a catalyst thermometer. Now if their had problems out of my model with draft way not just make a new door to help the draft flow. I now I would be upset if I had payed $2000 for a wood stove and find out it had draft problems and they just made a new stove to fix the problems and not give tech support for their older models. So I guess that in my mind I see a draft problem with my stove. So to fix the problem I wish Appalachian would have a upgrade door fix for my Stove. How much Chimney pipe are how tall of a chimney do I need to fix my draft problem to get the draft air to flow right in my stove. If I had really good dry wood it burn good a hot. So just as soon as I get the money I am going to buy a new stove.

Hey appalachian i see were you are coming from and being on a set budget, I myself with three small kids to raise have to cut back alot at times, The stove you have is a catalyst stove and with a new catalyst that would help your stove a great deal, It is design to run with a cat, I would say the previous owner pulled it out thinking it did'nt make that big of deal. you can do without the legs 200.00 dollars is alot of money and maybe later find a better deal on some, but I would give appalachain stove a call and get a price on a cat for your stove, but remember the catalyst are usually made by another company and if you can find out the company that produces them , might get a better deal on one threw the main source. now for draft issue how tall is your chimmey?

Ridgerunner30. I have 5' of single wall pipe inside and 9' SuperVent chimney = 14'. going to order 3 more feet the 1st of the mouth so that should put me at 17'. That being said I will have 8' of chimney coming out of the roof. Not want no super draft that can suck a tissue out the chimney.

I also have about 15 feet of supervent pipe own one of my stoves, I think your pipe is fine that should give decent draw, but the 5inch single wall stove pipe. Is that what the stove manual says to use? It might be that you need a 6in or 8in single wall pipe coming off the stove.

I'm sorry it is an 8" single wall stove pipe at 5 feet tall and 8" of superVent at 9 feet. so 5 feet + 9 feet = 14 feet.

Hey app just got threw looking at the stove manfacture website and the model 52 bay wood stove is design for 8in or 6inch flue pipe using a 5inch stove pipe will cause you draft problems.

everything is 8" all the way up.

Ridgerunner30. I use to live in Frankfort Ky. when I was a kid.

Ok thats good, you could try another joint of pipe it could not hurt, but with these mild temps we been having, It make your draft sluggish but as the tempd really begin to drop you will get a better draft. I would hold on the extra joint of pipe and see how the stove performs in colder temps. I would really try to invest a cat for the stove and you see a world of diffrence in your stove.

Sound Good to me. Now just to find the cat at a decent price.

I live about fours from frankfort, been there a couple of times nice place to have been raised, I live back in appalachain mountains of eastern, ky I hope you can get your stove lined out if there is anything i can help you with pm me and I will be gald to help.

Give appalachain a call and first ask them who produces there cats for them. should be able to buy a cat the main source, I have also seen new cats for sell on ebay, find out the measurments of you cat and shop around you never know might find a good deal on one,

that stove is a funny little beast I have see burn good one day the next really bad. I have seen no ash at all to black senders. I thank I will try and get the cat first and see if that will solve the problem. I will post back with up dates. Thanks to all that has help.

well went an got the wood stove Gaskets today it cost me $40.65 locally. Been working on get em in. Tomorrow we see if it draw better. Just Need to get the cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.