OMG- wife thinks she wants a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While you folks are comparing saws, don't forget the Dolmar 420 has the decomp - much easier starting for me anyway (bad shoulder and all). I'm not aware of any other brand that has the decomp feature - there may be some out there, I'm just not aware of them.

Shari

I won't forget, thanks Shari. The final decision will be Val's, I'll only lend input. The de-comp is a big plus for the Dolmar, just need to get down to Denver sometime.

lol.
guccichainsaw_1.jpg

Ya know, when she see's THAT thing, She may give up on the idea. I'd love to cut up RR ties with it though. Checked out the Stilhs tonight. 200T- no way, sorry Danno. The 211 and 230 look promising. I spun 'em around and played "Leatherface", and the weight wasn't bad at all. They "felt" lighter than my 346XP, even though the diff. isn't much more than a pound or so. So I checked the weights, and the PS420 falls between them, and has more power. 211 was 10.2lbs, 230 was 10.7 lbs., and the 420 is 10.56 lbs, just like Shari said. So my question is for Shari- the site states 10.56 net. Is this for powerhead only, or w/ bar and chain? If you have a scale, have you ever weighed your saw dry? Just curious. The 420 is looking pretty good right now. Thanks, JB (BTW, I called her after checking out the Stihls, she was excited I was shopping)

Beetle-Kill said:
So my question is for Shari- the site states 10.56 net. Is this for powerhead only, or w/ bar and chain? If you have a scale, have you ever weighed your saw dry? Just curious.

No, I have never weighed it 'dry'. Also, I noticed on the Dolmar site that the 420 comes with a 14" bar as standard but mine has a 16". Interesting question if the weights cited include the bar weight.

Shari

Beetle-Kill said:
...Checked out the Stilhs tonight. 200T- no way, sorry Danno. The 211 and 230 look promising...
NO, not the 200T, that's a top-handled saw for tree service. they make that exact saw (more or less) in a regular rear handled saw. Same thing with the 192...

Ok, that makes more sense. They only had a 200T, and while the weight was great, top handle and $630 tag said"No!". Are the 192 and 200 similar in size and weight? They did have a 192, but I didn't mess with it. Tomorrow, I'll check it out. So... enough time has passed. Shari, are you back from the garage, after draining and weighing your 420? :lol: Ok, when you do, let us know! Thanks!

Beetle-Kill said:
Ok, that makes more sense. They only had a 200T, and while the weight was great, top handle and $630 tag said"No!". Are the 192 and 200 similar in size and weight? They did have a 192, but I didn't mess with it. Tomorrow, I'll check it out. So... enough time has passed. Shari, are you back from the garage, after draining and weighing your 420? :lol: Ok, when you do, let us know! Thanks!
200 is just as costly. the 192 is about $350. I think the best weight/cost option is the $250. weighs a little more, but is more saw for the money.

If you want a low cost saw, then the 170. If you want a light saw, then the 192.

Danno, I'll check the 192 tomorrow. Can't justify $600+ for a saw she'll not put more than 4-6 tanks through in a summer. The 211 was $290 at the shop, and for that price range, I could prob. get the Dolmar. It really is going to depend on what she's most comfortable with. I'll have her wield the 250, but I think the weight is comparable to the 346. She'll notice. I'm going to check the spec's on the 192, back later. Thanks. (Shari, done yet? lol)

Before I go, Karen- the stuff Val will cut won't require anything longer than a 14" bar, so that's what we're after. I downsized my 346XP from 18" to 16", and like it better. You can always change your bar and chain lengths, up to a point. All depends on your saws power. Figure your average log diameter, and go from there.

Before I go, Karen- the stuff Val will cut won't require anything longer than a 14" bar, so that's what we're after. I downsized my 346XP from 18" to 16", and like it better. You can always change your bar and chain lengths, up to a point. All depends on your saws power. Figure your average log diameter, and go from there.

BK, the problem is that you are comparing your 11lb saw with a bunch of other lesser saws that are less than a pound lighter. I think if you want lighter than what you got, it's gonna be a matter of how much you are willing to spend. The MS 250 does weigh almost as much as your saw, and is only half a pound more than the 211. I'd be interested in seeing the weights with bars and fluids comparing these saws because they are all so close in weight.

the more I think about it, the more the 211 with a 12" bar looks like a very nice option for in-yard bucking...

Danno, the problem is my recurrent OCD coming to the forefront again. I'm just looking at the options, and eliminating the obviously wrong choices. Heck, just looked at the weight of the 250, and it's basically the same as the 211, with more HP. Ultimate decision will be the wifes, and yeah, a 211 w/ 12"/14" bar would probably be the ticket. In the end, she'll decide.

Beetle-Kill said:
Danno, the problem is my recurrent OCD coming to the forefront again. I'm just looking at the options, and eliminating the obviously wrong choices. Heck, just looked at the weight of the 250, and it's basically the same as the 211, with more HP. Ultimate decision will be the wifes, and yeah, a 211 w/ 12"/14" bar would probably be the ticket. In the end, she'll decide.
I understand where you are coming from. It gets confusing, because saw B is just a little bit heavier, but is nicer, or saw C is a little bit cheaper, but weighs more, or saw D can't take a smaller bar than 16" so it's gonna weigh more than the saw that takes smaller bars. and then you have three saws with different specs and all cost within 40 bucks of each other. add another brand into the mix and before you know it your head is spinning.

I don't know how much fuel and oil the 211 or 250 hold, but since the 211 can take a smaller bar and is a smaller saw, I bet the total weight difference makes it much lighter than your current saw, and the 250 probably would just be too much of an overlap with your husky.

she really needs to hold them. don't be afraid to ask them to put a different bar on the display.

Beetle-Kill said:
Um,no. Jay, the 660 would be mine, ALL mine! What do you think she should set her sights on? The 346XP is a little heavy, what's good under 10lbs.? The 420 looks good, and we're going to take a look at it, just a little heavier on paper. Shari seems to like her's though.

Its a hard call but If my new girlfriend wants to run one it will be my 192t great light little saw.

Thanks smokinjay. Let us know what the new girlfriend thinks of the 192T. Force her to use it, for the greater good. :cheese: I'm going to stop the updates until I have something of value to post. The dealer I thought carried Dolmar- doesn't. I E-mailed Dolmar, and they have 1 dealer in the Denver-metro area. Seems they only service stuff, rarely stock it. Haven't even recieved a quote price on one, so maybey they went belly-up? I'll look on line, but I'm reverting back to Stihl and Husky, as I DO hae dealers close by. Dolmar may be a great saw, but without support it might as well be a Yugo. When it works out, I'll re-thread. Thansk to everyone for all the input. J&V

Beetle-Kill said:
She's been bugging me to cut up a bunch of limbed aspen logs in the back, but I have to finish the darned hearth first. That aspen isn't going anywhere I've told her, just be patient. Next up- I want my own saw. So to placate her, I told her I'd check on a smaller saw for her to use. She isn't letting up....she really wants one! So any recommendations? She's 5'2", about 135ish, and pretty strong for her size. Im thinking 7900, or 372XP. Your thoughts?

It would be irresponsible to make any recomendation on saw without seeing pics of the intended user.

I'm certainly no expert on saws, but aren't those top-handle saws dangerous? What the advantage of a top-handle when you're on the ground? Seems the longer between-the-hands spacing on the rear-handle models gives you much better control. I've never used one, but my gut would tell me not to give one to a beginner when the same saws are available in rear-handle config. The 192 is not bad in price, and it's pretty light.

My old 40cc 011 seems very light next to my 357XP. I cut a lot of wood with that little saw way back when. It wasn't lightning fast, but I got through what I had to. I'm gonna get a short bar for it and try it with a semi-chisel chain (recommended by the pussies at Arborsite) for my trim work around here. My wife is also interested now, thanks to Beetle here. If she's keeps talking about it, I... uh... I mean she just might find a brand new 192 under the Xmas tree this year.

It's been a while, but I used a top-handled saw all the time when I was a skinny teenager and still lived at home, cutting trees with my dad. It was a Poulan, don't remember much more than that, but I managed not to lop off any important body parts or kill anybody, so I'd say if I figured it out when I was 13, it can't have THAT steep a learning curve. =P

I've lost a great deal of muscle mass over the years though- a high risk pregnancy put me on bedrest for four months and I've just never been the same since. Woodcutting's going to be my "get back in shape" project! So I definitely need something light and easy on the hands and wrists vibration wise. Sounds like the Dolmar 420 is a favorite? Not sure if I need that much power- I'll only be doing occasional felling, mostly just hacking things up small enough to split.

~Rose

RoseRed, thanks for the input. I'll post a re-vamped thread tomorrow night, as to what has transpired with the saw choice. Val now owns a Stihl 011AV, 14" bar, that starts on the first pull (very good shape for it's age). I don't need it, but had another load of log length pine dropped off tonight, she'll get to start cutting tomorrow. :cheese: If you don't mind, I'll PM you on a major Mobile-home overhaul I did awhile back, with a new hearth system. PM me if interested. Thanks, JB

I seem to recall the top-handle being good for being able to put some of your weight on it- mind you this was a very light saw meant for homeowner use, not someone who's going to be cutting down trees often- and getting through the tougher logs. We used it on mesquite, ash and elm trees in our yard that needed cutting back, so really tough wood. Probably with a heavier-duty saw that wouldn't make a difference, but also if you don't have a lot of upper-body strength, being able to lean onto it a little is helpful.

I'm trying to decide if I want an electric or gas saw. My FIL has a monster gas saw that we could use when we start woodcutting for serious next spring, so I'm thinking maybe I'll get a light electric chainsaw to keep at the house just for finishing work. Also I'm probably not going to be doing the heavier woodcutting myself- that's what I have male relatives who have 200 pounds on me do. =P I have arthritis in my hands, and even just the vibration from our gas mower makes them ache, so I think that would work better.

~Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.