One stop shop for gaskets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
When I shut the stove down this spring I want to replace all the gaskets. Is there a one stop shop to get all these together? Or what sizes do I need. Plan to do door, glass , bypass and cat. Princess model made in 2006.

Reactions: Highbeam
I called the dealer, they had BK ship them direct to me, that way I’m certain I have the right density gaskets..
Oh, I paid the dealer, not BK..

Don’t forget the weird adhesive for the bypass gasket. Rtv for door gasket.

Would love to hear your experience on replacing that bypass gasket.

I wrote up my experience with that dam bi-pass gasket awhile back…
Once I figured out I was’nt totally stupid, it was actually pretty funny..

Does anyone have an online source for the high density bypass gasket? This is what I am finding:
For the door is it 6' of 7/8"?
What size is the glass gasket?
Sucks that it has to be this difficult. I want to just click on BK gasket set and get an entire correct kit for all of them.

Our OEM gaskets are not sold by our supplier online. A few retailers do sell our OEM gaskets online.

Often BK owners will call us to complain about the lack of density from gaskets sold as "dense" or "Blaze King" gaskets.

You can call any dealer and ask to have the gaskets you need drop shipped to your home. If they leave our facilities, they will be correct.

6' of 7/8" is correct. 4' of 5/8" is correct. The glass gasket is adhesive backed and folds over the glass. I believe it is 3/4" wide. To be 100% certain on the glass gasket, you can call our offices M-F 8-5. 509-522-2730. I apologize we don't not sell much replacement glass gasket, so the width can be confirmed.

Reactions: rwhite and Highbeam
I'll give the shop a call in the morning. I also found this on Amazon. Wonder if it's the same?
MinGlas Rope Seal - Fiberglass High Density Rope Gasket 5/8" x 8 feet, Firm Round Braided, Stove Boiler Furnace Oven Kiln Door Seal Gasket https://a.co/d/8K1OCek

I'll give the shop a call in the morning. I also found this on Amazon. Wonder if it's the same?
MinGlas Rope Seal - Fiberglass High Density Rope Gasket 5/8" x 8 feet, Firm Round Braided, Stove Boiler Furnace Oven Kiln Door Seal Gasket https://a.co/d/8K1OCek
Can’t you just call any BK dealer and order the gaskets? They get mailed directly from BK. Pretty much a one stop shop.

UPDATE:

The glass gasket is confirmed at 3/4" width.

BKVP

Reactions: rwhite and Highbeam
Had the wife go to the BK dealer while she was in town. They had the cat, door and bypass gasket. Only issue was the bypass gasket. Not convinced it is high density. Looks like regular 5/8" rope. Pretty sure that's where I got the gaskets when I did them 6 years ago or so and it seems to have worked so maybe it is correct.

Reactions: BKVP

It's not too bad. I pull the retainers out then as you open the bypass you can slide it out from the bar. I move it towards the back of the stove and stand it up. Gets everything out of the way.

It's not too bad. I pull the retainers out then as you open the bypass you can slide it out from the bar. I move it towards the back of the stove and stand it up. Gets everything out of the way.
So the cat is out, but you leave the bypass in the dome? Just stuffed way back?

Then, apply sealant and set the gasket in place. Do you have to immediately set the bypass plate back in place to squish the gasket down evenly?

We do not close the bypass at the factory. Ww press it in and let adhesive set first.

Then, apply sealant and set the gasket in place. Do you have to immediately set the bypass plate back in place to squish the gasket down evenly?
Yup,
That plate ain’t comin out without bending chitt…

Yup,
That plate ain’t comin out without bending chitt…
That sounds like a challenge! They sell new ones and we know it wasn’t built inside the dome.

I’m afraid my bypass gasket retainers aren’t perfectly straight anymore so I’m curious about how much ability the bedding adhesive gives you to accommodate melted retainers. Maybe none.

That sounds like a challenge! They sell new ones and we know it wasn’t built inside the dome.

I’m afraid my bypass gasket retainers aren’t perfectly straight anymore so I’m curious about how much ability the bedding adhesive gives you to accommodate melted retainers. Maybe none.
Oh it’s a challenge for sure..
I did my Princess a year or so ago..
Spent alot of time cussing trying to figure out how to get the plate out…. It was’nt gonna happen !!

I think I recall trying to get the entire plate outlast time. Maybe there's a Tetris way to do it. But taking it off the rod and standing it up towards the back of the stove gives plenty of room. I just put a bead of cement in the channel put the gasket in, set the bypass to make sure no adjustments are needed then open back up and let dry.

Yes, cat is out, bypass stood up near back of stove.

I think I recall trying to get the entire plate outlast time. Maybe there's a Tetris way to do it. But taking it off the rod and standing it up towards the back of the stove gives plenty of room. I just put a bead of cement in the channel put the gasket in, set the bypass to make sure no adjustments are needed then open back up and let dry.
Do you recommend a particular cement? This area gets dang hot, hot enough to melt steel gasket retainers, so I don’t think typical rtv will last long but then again it just has to sit there.

If this site has the capacity, I'd post a video on how to do it is 30 seconds!

If this site has the capacity, I'd post a video on how to do it is 30 seconds!
The BK YouTube channel could really use a few how to videos like that. Really.

I would also love to see someone replace the bypass gasket retainers. I could probably find a candidate stove!

The BK YouTube channel could really use a few how to videos like that. Really.

I would also love to see someone replace the bypass gasket retainers. I could probably find a candidate stove!
Wrong forum for them. We have several and we send them to dealers/reps. Your retainers aren't melted, cracked and distorted yes. By the time you need yours replaced, I'll be retired and you can bring your stove to my shop to have them replaced! You bring some steelhead fillets..

Wrong forum for them. We have several and we send them to dealers/reps. Your retainers aren't melted, cracked and distorted yes. By the time you need yours replaced, I'll be retired and you can bring your stove to my shop to have them replaced! You bring some steelhead fillets..
I’d be happy to Chris. My stove is burning great btw.