Osburn 2400 vs FPX Large Hybrid inserts. Price/quality compression. Opinion needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Choosing between FPX Large Hybrid Fire and Osburn 2400 insert for my kids. I have FPX insert and it's a good unit but there are things that i don't like and thats why looking at Osburn 2400 insert. Major thing that I don't like about FPX is trapezoid shape of shallow firebox, which makes lot of space unusable. Osburn 2400 is much better on a paper with square large firebox and protruding design.

Now, why FPX retails for more than $1000 more? Is this cut for dealers? Is this because of lower quality of Osburn? Never seen Osburn in person, but reviews are good.
I know you can buy Osburn online. FPX is distributed through the dealers only. Wondering if thats why we see difference in price. They not much different on a paper, Steel thickness is the same, weight is roughly the same.

I know you can buy Osburn online. FPX is distributed through the dealers only. Wondering if thats why we see difference in price. They not much different on a paper.

Isn't the FPX a catalytic unit? And the Osburn is a non-cat? Seems like that's a pretty big difference.

Also, the FPX is a flush insert, whereas the Osburn is non-flush (doesn't have to rely as much on fans).

It is catalytic , catalyst costs $270 at dealer , still don’t justify $1200 hike
Yeah, and being not flash is another good quality of Osburn for me

I wasn't trying to say that it justified the cost difference. I was just trying to point out that there definitely are differences between the two.

I wasn't trying to say that it justified the cost difference. I was just trying to point out that there definitely are differences between the two.
I know these are very different inserts. I can’t understand why such a difference in price.

I have no idea... price points are pretty subjective. Seems to me that the FPX is a bit more of a looker, and the Osburn has more of a standard steel stove look. People are often willing to pay a lot more for aesthetics.

Choosing between FPX Large Hybrid Fire and Osburn 2400 insert for my kids. I have FPX insert and it's a good unit but there are things that i don't like and thats why looking at Osburn 2400 insert. Major thing that I don't like about FPX is trapezoid shape of shallow firebox, which makes lot of space unusable. Osburn 2400 is much better on a paper with square large firebox and protruding design.

Now, why FPX retails for more than $1000 more? Is this cut for dealers? Is this because of lower quality of Osburn? Never seen Osburn in person, but reviews are good.
I know you can buy Osburn online. FPX is distributed through the dealers only. Wondering if thats why we see difference in price. They not much different on a paper, Steel thickness is the same, weight is roughly the same.
Can't speak for the fpx, but Osburn is a nice quality stove. And yes, the dealer markup is significant. Anytime you add a middleman, you have to account for their cut.

I have no idea... price points are pretty subjective. Seems to me that the FPX is a bit more of a looker, and the Osburn has more of a standard steel stove look. People are often willing to pay a lot more for aesthetics.
What did you decide on? Sorry if I missed it in another post.

The FPX is 5/16 and 1/4inch steel. The Osburn is 3/16 and 5/16 inch top.

If its this FPX:

https://www.fireplacex.com/productguide/productdetail.aspx?modelsku=99800604#Specs

I used to think thicker is the only way to go. Not sure if it matters that much because of how stoves are made and designed now. Unless you over fire a lot perhaps thicker is better. Lots of 3/16 stoves have been around for many years and are still in service. And many manufacturers use 3/16 including Lopi.

Last edited:
What did you decide on? Sorry if I missed it in another post.
Nothing yet , but it seems like my daughter will go with FPX as it looks better. it just happened that I got almost new free standing Osburn 2400 for $ 700. It's not pretty at all. Well build , I think , but finishes and look overall not really glamorous at all.

It is catalytic , catalyst costs $270 at dealer , still don’t justify $1200 hike
Yeah, and being not flash is another good quality of Osburn for me
There is a whole lot more than the cat itself that goes into a cat stove.