Oslo installed today!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wahoowad said:
Maybe to get your mantle clearance you could remove the 90 elbow, run some doublewall stovepipe back and into a tee. Dblwall stoepie reduces clearances a lot - I forget how much but it should be in your Oslo manual. I bought an adjustable dblwall stovepipe that goes from like 12 to 18 inches to get it just right.

The mantle clearance is measured from the top of the stove, not the stovepipe. The manual says 30 inches, no less. I will try to find a copper one if I can, otherwise i can get a black one from my dealer.

Interestingly enough, the manual does not in any way imply that the stove can be installed into the prefab fireplace - as you have probably seen, it specifically addresses masonry only.

I know Jotul has oked this before if all clearances are met, and with the read heat shield you are meeting them. That's good.

My problem with this stuff.....which is off-topic in this thread - is that people will see it and think that most any stove can be installed in front of most any prefab. In most cases, this is not true at all. Anyone thinking of doing this better have all the I's dotted and T's crossed......and, of course, clearances maintained.

As eight suggests, there is combustible wood in the wall all around these fireplaces and the stone face does nothing to reduce clearances.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 344
The only reason my stove fit was because the old majestic ZC was soooo big. The width of the metal prefab opening was almost 50" between combustables. My stove only need 9" on either side to meet the clearances, as long as I used the rear heat shield. We will see this winter how hot it gets along side the stove. I can always make some heat shields for the side if it gets the stones too hot. 8

And I'm rather relieved to see that it can be done, given my nearly identical setup. I had sort of resigned myself to needing to pull out the prefab and either replacing it with an EPA ZC or building an alcove in its place. I had actually figured the R-value underneath would be the harder issue.

Of course, I really wish I had gotten into wood heating before I built the house and paid for the current setup, but such is life.

What about the chimney? Are those pre fabs approved for a stove or do you have to reline with a class A?

I'm not sure about 8's, but my WMC42 (prefab) has a HT2100 chimney (8" ID triple-wall air-cooled). I don't know if it is "approved" to do either a direct-connect or a relining, but both should be safe.

I had a 6" stainless rigid liner put inside of the 8" pre fab. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.