Our old Jotul 118... adios!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
We switched out the 118, c.1977 for a Drolet Myriad gen1 a year ago, not because we were displeased with the Jotul, but because we got a deal on the Myriad that we could not walk away from. The 118 has been collecting dust since, so it must go.

Q: What might be a reasonable asking price given it's condition? We had the shoulder plate welded (2 cracked corners). We had the side burn plates welded as well, but they should be replaced. Gaskets and cement are new.

The stove functions well, but is not terribly pretty. Would parting out be a more viable option?

118b.JPG118f.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If all is good , burn plates not cracked/present and is usable I would give -$350-400 maybe more in some places or less In other places. I don’t think parting out a useable stove makes sense but there may be demand for certain parts but you’ll be left with some useless parts. EBay is full of Jotul parts and few complete stoves. I am looking for something like what you have but I’m in Wyoming and your In SE MN so not local for me.

Hi Fire Water, thanks for the reply.

Certainly my stove is worth something less than that given the obvious repairs and the need to replace the burn plates.

List it for $300 locally and take whatever cash shows up.

Reactions: MR. GLO
The “repairs’ are not obvious, a little rusty is not a repair that’s maintenance same as replacing the burn plates are maintenance expendables. Perhaps more of a description and better pictures would have given you the response you desired.
Good day to you sir.

The “repairs’ are not obvious, a little rusty is not a repair that’s maintenance same as replacing the burn plates are maintenance expendables. Perhaps more of a description and better pictures would have given you the response you desired.
Good day to you sir.
Hello Fire Water, yes, you are correct... I could/should have described the shoulder plate welds more clearly and illustrated that with additional photos. I plead old age... my shrinking brain does not function as well as it did once upon a time!

I would be interested in both side panels since both of my panels are cracked. I am located in PA and obviously would pay shipping costs. You can message me. Thanks again!

I have seen excellent condition (inside and out) F118s go for as high as $1600 in cherry condition. In good working condition in peak season they often go for $800+. They are still quite desirable, especially the enameled versions without blemishes.