Outlet for fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sbrown28

Nov 13, 2019
Nebraska
Is this the correct placement for the electrical box for our insert. The company installing just said lower right corner, but this seems big and intrusive. Attached picture

C72C8CE6-DFAD-48CD-A2A9-CCDDAC2AAFFA.jpeg

That may not be permitted. What is the make and model of the ZC fireplace?

What is the make and model of the Zero Clearance fireplace it is going into?
We have no idea, it was just a standard fireplace. No idea if it’s ever been used, we had the outlet put in by an electrician per the instructions of the company we are buying the stove from (they’re installing). But the only instructions were to put it in the back right corner.

That doesn't look like a ZC that can accommodate an insert. Are there combustibles behind it?

Many ZC fireplaces expressly prohibit the installation of an insert. All do not permit modification of the fireplace except for removing the doors and damper, that's why I ask. There should be a manufacture's tag somewhere. Typically it is in the doorframe.

That doesn't look like a ZC that can accommodate an insert. Are there combustibles behind it?
Behind it is the outside wall/chimney. The company installing has already come to measure, but the fire brick was still on it. I just took it off to have the electrical put in.

Many ZC fireplaces expressly prohibit the installation of an insert. All do not permit modification of the fireplace except for removing the doors and damper, that's why I ask. There should be a manufacture's tag somewhere. Typically it is in the doorframe.
Nothing in the door frame, nor anywhere in the unit.

It looks like a cheap contractor grade ZC fireplace and needs to have documentation that an insert is permitted to be installed. Without any documentation how does one know if the fireplace can support the insert and offer safe protection from the wood framing surrounding it?

Reactions: blacktail
It looks like a cheap contractor grade ZC fireplace and needs to have documentation that an insert is permitted to be installed. Without any documentation how does one know if the fireplace can support the insert and offer safe protection from the wood framing surrounding it?
I’m brand new to this, but I have to assume that I’ll be inspected? I know we have to have permits before it’s installed right??
Also wouldn’t an insert be safer than just fire brick?

Behind it is the outside wall/chimney. The company installing has already come to measure, but the fire brick was still on it. I just took it off to have the electrical put in.
What you pulled out was panels that mount to the interior sheet metal shown. That looks like a builder's grade ZC, and it does not look like it is made to hold an insert. Make sure the installer knows what they are doing. Does not look like a compliant ZC to me, but I am basing on what I can see.

I’m brand new to this, but I have to assume that I’ll be inspected? I know we have to have permits before it’s installed right??
Also wouldn’t an insert be safer than just fire brick?
That really depends on the local requirements and dealer. Many are installed without inspection. And many building inspectors know little about wood stoves or inserts.

This comes down to liability if something goes wrong. It might be worth a call to your insurance company to ask what they will require.

Thanks! I’ll do that, our agent is a friend. I’ll let you guys know how it all goes
Insurance guy says, if the house burns down they’d cover it because it’s our stuff and there’d be no lawsuit. Only time that’d happen is if someone else got injured or their property.

Insurance guy says, if the house burns down they’d cover it because it’s our stuff and there’d be no lawsuit. Only time that’d happen is if someone else got injured or their property.
Is this an insurance salesman or an adjuster? Your salesman or agent can tell you whatever they want. But when it comes time to process a claim they have no say.

Very few zero clearance fireplaces allow inserts to be placed in them. If yours does not by code you can't do it. Also an inserts fan plug needs to be accessible placing it inside the fireplace is against code.

Now because you are having it installed by a pro and they are presumably insured all liability would fall on them. But if anything did happen it would seriously complicate things. And do you really want a company that is ok with violating multiple codes working in your house?

Last edited:
Is this an insurance salesman or an adjuster? Your salesman or agent can tell you whatever they want. But when it comes time to process a claim they have no say.

Very few zero clearance fireplaces allow inserts to be placed in them. If yours does not by code you can't do it. Also an inserts fan plug needs to be accessible placing it inside the fireplace is against code.

Now because you are having it installed by a pro and they are presumably insured all liability would fall on them. But if anything did happen it would seriously complicate things. And do you really want a company that is ok with violating multiple codes working in your house?
Was more so just letting everyone know. I’ll definitely talk to them before installing it, but it’s also like you said, they are the professionals. They’ve been very honest with getting me the right product, and with something that has this much potential danger I can’t imagine they install things that don’t work.

Was more so just letting everyone know. I’ll definitely talk to them before installing it, but it’s also like you said, they are the professionals. They’ve been very honest with getting me the right product, and with something that has this much potential danger I can’t imagine they install things that don’t work.
But what we are telling you is they may very well be misleading you about what you can do just so they can make a sale. Your fireplace has to have an ID plate somewhere. If it doesn't it is no longer ul listed and absolutely cannot have an insert installed in it

But what we are telling you is they may very well be misleading you about what you can do just so they can make a sale. Your fireplace has to have an ID plate somewhere. If it doesn't it is no longer ul listed and absolutely cannot have an insert installed in it
Found it! Majestic RC36.

Found it! Majestic RC36.

There is your manual. It clearly says you can't use any parts or components not manufactured by majestic and approved for use with that system by majestic

There is your manual. It clearly says you can't use any parts or components not manufactured by majestic and approved for use with that system by majestic
Appreciate the help. After searching through the old forums, looks like people have put inserts in this exact ZC. Will do some more research to make sure.

Appreciate the help. After searching through the old forums, looks like people have put inserts in this exact ZC. Will do some more research to make sure.
Yes I am sure they have but in doing so they violated code and opened themselves up to massive liability. Read the manual for your fireplace that I provided. No additional research needed.