OWB DHW plumbing advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen44

Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Danville VA
.... so plumbing help/advice needed please.

Looking at diagram plumbing-1.jpg - this is how the DHW is planned to be plumbed at the moment - the dealer assures me that this will produce unlimited HW - at all times even in the midst of winter

- my wife is disabled and needs a very hot 300 gallon bath a day (yes 300G - it is a 4 x 4 x 3 jacussi tub)

i am worried that when the water has been standing in the tank and the pipe that it will not be hot enough - and we would have to run off so much to re-heat, so I am wanting to put a thermostatically controlled circulating pump into the circuit.

Does diagram plumbing-2.jpg work for this - or is there a better way of doing this ?

Also by pumping my well water all the way to the OWB (150' two ways = 300') and back - will this have any significant effect on my faucet water pressure ? - it is low to begin with !

i am trying to avoid another run to the OWB - as since I have two heat exchangers as well - that means I am already running 6 pex pipes between the two - and I know I will need a water source at the OWB for refilling etc !

Please - Please - any ideas !

thanks

Stephen

Attachments

• plumbing-2.JPG
    plumbing-2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 315
  • plumbing-1.JPG
    plumbing-1.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 282
The slug of cold water from the lines will be completely dissapated in the hot water tank.

However, there's a major safety issue with the system as drawn - you MUST have an anti-scald valve or mixing valve on the outlet of the DHW tank to limit the DHW temperature supplied to the house.

so you are saying that i do not need a circulating pump ?

there is a mixing valve in the installation - I just didn't show it for simplicity !

stephen44 said:
so you are saying that i do not need a circulating pump ?

there is a mixing valve in the installation - I just didn't show it for simplicity !

As long as the OWB is hot, I don't think you'll need a circulator. However, if the DHW tank sits unused for a long time, it will cool down unless there's some other mechanism to heat it.

I'll keep the ability to switch on the breaker for the HW element - or ' I'll set the thermostat to a lower temp so it kicks in. - haven't decided which yet.

The only standing period will be over night - the water will be used off and on during the day. Do you think there will be a noticeable temp drop in the tank overnight (it is a 2 year old well insulated tank if that help)?

Status
Not open for further replies.