Pacific Energy Alderea T5 heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Does anyone know how many square ft the Pacific Energy Alderea T5 will heat? I have a 2200 square ft. bi-level. I am currently heating with a Hearthstone Heritage. Thanks!

Does anyone know how many square ft the Pacific Energy Alderea T5 will heat? I have a 2200 square ft. bi-level. I am currently heating with a Hearthstone Heritage. Thanks!
2200 sq ft could be pushing it in Wisconsin unless the place is quite well insulated. How well has the Heritage worked out so far?

2200 sq ft could be pushing it in Wisconsin unless the place is quite well insulated. How well has the Heritage worked out so far?
The Heritage is fine. I don't like the baffle on the Heritage. I see Pacific Energy has a stainless steel baffle. That's why I am interested in one.

If the Heritage heats the house satisfactorily then the T5 should work out well.

Reactions: Highbeam
For 2200sf, I'd get the T6.

I'm with Hog. Here in CT, 2200 sqft is a lot to ask a Heritage to handle, espec on cold nights. I'd think the T6 is a better choice too if possible. I'd vote for the Mansfield over the Heritage too- Just saying.

Depends on how well insulated and sealed the house is. Our house has 200 less sq ft and I am glad we have the T6, but our house is old with no wind barrier beneath the clapboards and too much glass area. The T5 would heat our house ok, but I'd be stoking it pretty frequently if we saw Wisc. winter temps. Contrast this to our next door neighbor that has the Spectrum and is heating 1600 sq ft in a house one year older than ours that was built the same way. He doesn't like to use the stove for shoulder season burning, says it gets too hot and even when it's well below freezing he is seeing 10 hr burn times.

Thanks everyone. I like the T6 also, but it's not available in Mocha Brown. That's what my wife likes.

Well, that makes the decision easy then, its the T5, ha. I'm sure both will make both of you happy. Good luck with her (the stove).

A couple cans or stove paint, and it can be any color you want it to be.

Reactions: Squirrely
I suspected that's why the interest in the T5. You can paint the T6, but it will not be enameled. Too bad the T6 only offers the black painted finish after all these years.

Newburner, the T5 will get the job done but you will be pushing it harder during very cold weather. That will shorten burn times, but I expect you are already used to this with the Heritage.

Ditto hog's comments and suggestions. Plus if you get the T5, you will want the blower for your home in Wisc.

With sarcasm - I would suggest to "her" that she can get up at 3 am to load and admire that nice pretty brown T5 on a cold january night, OR you could sleep the entire night with the big old black T6.

I would take a close look at this comparison chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/wscompha.htm

I personally feel that firebox volume is key, and not the rated btu's etc. The T5's firebox is smaller than your Heritage. The extra volume you get with the T6 allows for a lot more flexibility in loading (N/S or E/W), load volume, burn times etc.

Thanks for the comparison chart. I would really like the T6. Looks like a durable, heating beast.

I personally feel that firebox volume is key, and not the rated btu's etc. The T5's firebox is smaller than your Heritage.

I owned a heritage and have measured the firebox. Hearthstone lies and the box is actually much smaller than they say. Now, to be fair, PE might lie too. Please measure each firebox before using this as a decision making specification. I too agree that firebox size is more indicative of output than manufacturer's claims but also remember that the hearthstone is limited to a low temp like 550 which makes a lot less heat than the same size box at 800!

I suspect that if the OP doesn't like the baffle then it is because he was loading the stove to the tippy top and breaking the baffle. Nothing wrong with the hearthstone baffle system, it's the same as most stoves, you just can't hit it and expect it to stay intact for long.

Go T6 if you have a choice. If you really want brown enamel, are there other stove manufacturers that make it with a larger stove?