Pacific Energy New Baffles Warped Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burning13

Dec 14, 2020
Toronto, ON
I just purchased new Pacific Energy Summit LE wood stove. I noticed the baffle that came with the wood stove does not sit on the rails properly and it appears to be warped. I returned the baffle it to where I purchased it and they submitted a warranty claim. I later received another new baffle warped in the same condition. I put a straight edge on the baffles to measure the bends which are much greater than 1/4 of an inch. Here are a few pictures.

I was told by the distributor that this will level out after a few uses.
Pacific Energy's manual indicates not to use a baffle that has a permanent warp greater than 1/4 of an inch as it would void the warranty of a new stove.

I am reaching out to see if anyone else has noticed this or has any suggestions.

image 1 (640x480).jpg image 2 (640x480).jpg image 3 (640x480).jpg

In time it will bow down more than that. You can keep trying for a new one, but in the end it is going to bow. Does no affect performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmsem
In time it will bow down more than that. You can keep rying for a new one, but in the end it is going to bow. Does no affect performance.
I have seen new baffles that are completely flat. Pacific Energy's manual indicates not to use a baffle that is warped greater than 1/4 inch and doing so will void the warranty of the stove. This is about 1 inch already and it is new. That would mean it was already subjected to thermal stress and the metal is fatigued.
I am no expert, but wouldn't this fail sooner than a baffle that is flat? It looks like the baffle was over fired and it is brand new. Is that not the argument that the manufacturer makes when a warranty claim is made?

I'd imagine where it contacts the rails is most important, but that's just a guess. Also, to measure 1/4 inch, I would think the straight edge should be level, not held at a slope. Then measure the "altitude"of the level straight edge above baffle.

I see a bend in my baffle after 1.5 seasons, but works great.

That ain't 1" out, but it is bowed. To find how much it is truly out, you would have to go from side edge across to side edge. You can keep sending back till you get a flat one, but any new one will still end up bowing worse than you are seeing in time, unless you use it as an ambiance thing and not get it very hot. 1/4" ain't sheet, and they only replace it once now as opposed to the old lifetime warranty.

If hasn't been fires, so must have warped in production.
It appears they have revised them yet again as it is slightly different than my latest one.
I've had on that was truly sagged an inch or more, it does not affect the stove performance.
When you have a wide mass of metal spanning that distance, with the temps these tings cruise at, it is bound to sag in time.

If you're that concerned, take it back to the dealer and tell them to get you a straight one.

Stainless steel warps a lot when welded, because stainless steel actually shrinks a little when heated to high temperatures. It is very possible the first time you fire this baffle it will straighten out, as the high temps from the fire will shrink the center flattening it out.

First though I would be contacting PE directly, it would suck to have used your warranty claim for a factory defect (if this is considered one).