Pacific energy summit insert replacing old zero clearence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is it not possible to make my fireplace area non combustible. Like bricking the whole area and using wobder board where i cannot brick

Is it not possible to make my fireplace area non combustible. Like bricking the whole area and using wobder board where i cannot brick
Nope

Why so can you explain. I mean so i can install the above mentioned insert
To install that insert you would need to build a code compliant fireplace. That means a concrete slab hearth on a foundation. A minimum of 8" thick masonry walls with firebrick lining. And many other requirements. You cannot simply line a framed opening with something

Sorry, really, but short of building a new fireplace there, the Summit insert will not work.

Buck Stoves are quite radiant on the sides with high clearances. This is a critical factor for an alcove install. It will limit choices.

Where did the Summit insert come from?
I have plans to drop off the summit insert where it came from. Saving me freight costs. I guess ill be building an alcove in the near future and also choosing a free standing stove. Much thanks begreen

With planning, it can be done. It will take a stove with close side clearances.

Reactions: PAbeech
Yes, the TN20 would work. It needs a 43" wide alcove. The Osburn 1700 would also work though note that this is primarily and E/W loader. The Osburn 2000 would also work with double-wall stove pipe and heat shield AC02710. Also look at the Drolet HT3000 with heat shielding.

Yes, the TN20 would work. It needs a 43" wide alcove. The Osburn 1700 would also work though note that this is primarily and E/W loader. The Osburn 2000 would also work with double-wall stove pipe and heat shield AC02710. Also look at the Drolet HT3000 with heat shielding.
Can i achieve 8 hr burn times with the tn20? Also when manufactures say "6 hr burn time" is it not possible to get more out of it ?

Yes, with hardwood and proper operation it is possible. However, when it’s very cold outside you will be pushing the stove harder and burn time will shorten.

Yes, with hardwood and proper operation it is possible. However, when it’s very cold outside you will be pushing the stove harder and burn time will shorten.
Ive been doing alot of thinking about my situation. Im kind of leaning towards the 2 buckstove zero clearence stoves. Zc21 and the 74zc. This way i wont have to do an alcove and all that.

Download the manuals and measure twice for fit. Also, for good value, check out Osburn and Valcourt (both are SBI variations) ZC fireplaces.

Download the manuals and measure twice for fit. Also, for good value, check out Osburn and Valcourt (both are SBI variations) ZC fireplaces.
Im looking at the buckstoves more or less because of the price of them. I can get my hands on the buckstove 74zc for 2900 or the zc21 for ab 2500

You will need the larger 74ZC as long as it fits.

Could i get away with using flex liner with the existing 10" and 14" pipe already there? And if not what is the typical cost of a 25'x 6" 103ht rated pipe
The new ZC must be installed with UL 103 HT 2100º chimney pipe as specified by the manufacturer, no exceptions. Pricing will vary with the supplier. Does the seller of the Buck 74ZC also sell the required chimney pipe? If not, you could check here for current pricing: https://woodstovepro.com/

The new ZC must be installed with UL 103 HT 2100º chimney pipe as specified by the manufacturer, no exceptions. Pricing will vary with the supplier. Does the seller of the Buck 74ZC also sell the required chimney pipe? If not, you could check here for current pricing: https://woodstovepro.com/
Ok gotya and yes he has everything. What is your opinion on the zc model 21 from buckstove. Good dry hard wood is not an issue where i am and my house is only just under 1700sqft

What is your opinion on the zc model 21 from buckstove. Good dry hard wood is not an issue where i am and my house is only just under 1700sqft
It's small, about half the size of the Summit insert and 1 cu ft smaller than the 74. Installation of the 21ZC is the same deal as the 74ZC. Expect a 4-6 hr burn time in the 21 in the winter months and 6-10 hrs in the 74. Given that this is infrastructure and not easy to swap out like a freestander, I would get the larger fireplace. You can always make a smaller fire in the larger fireplace in mild weather, but not vice versa.

It's small, about half the size of the Summit insert and 1 cu ft smaller than the 74. Installation of the 21ZC is the same deal as the 74ZC. Expect a 4-6 hr burn time in the 21 in the winter months and 6-10 hrs in the 74. Given that this is infrastructure and not easy to swap out like a freestander, I would get the larger fireplace. You can always make a smaller fire in the larger fireplace in mild weather, but not vice versa.
Ok i really appreciate all of your input.:cool:

You're welcome. I know this is going to be a greater expense than anticipated, but do it right and safely and you should be satisfied for many years to come.

You're welcome. I know this is going to be a greater expense than anticipated, but do it right and safely and you should be satisfied for many years to come.
You are right about that. and its nice knowing ill be putting the correct appliance in, good thing im doing this now vs few months down the road lol

What is your opinion on the pacific energy fp16 zero clearance for my setup. Might be the best bang for the buck at 2500$

Same size firebox as the Buck 21, but with a bit more height, stainless baffle with no tubes, and EBT. Like the Buck 21, this is strictly an E/W loader.

Same size firebox as the Buck 21, but with a bit more height, stainless baffle with no tubes, and EBT. Like the Buck 21, this is strictly an E/W loader.
It offers an 8hr burn time with the ebt which i like and since the dealer im working with deals in pacific energy i wont have to pay a restock fee. So im thinking its a go on the fp16