Pacific energy super 27 dosent seem to be throwing out a lot of heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me a few days ti trwck down a moisturizer tester. Checked several pieces from different spots in wood pile. All between 15 and 11%

Last 2 days it is throwing more heat.think the break in period is over. Still seems less then I was expecting but better. If I go less then 20 25% open it throws almost no heat

Took me a few days ti trwck down a moisturizer tester. Checked several pieces from different spots in wood pile. All between 15 and 11%

Last 2 days it is throwing more heat.think the break in period is over. Still seems less then I was expecting but better. If I go less then 20 25% open it throws almost no heat
Just to be sure you're using the meter correctly, are you splitting open the pieces to expose a fresh face to apply the pins to?

Never used one before. So no just punched down into log. I will go home and split a few bigger pieces then update post again
Good. Just keep in mind that what you want to know is the moisture in the middle since wood dries from the outside in. The meter only measures the surface of where the pins are placed.

Wood is between 24 and 20%.

1415906618940916805702.jpg 14159067004631474984850.jpg

Was asked to post pictures before. Previous post has a couple of inside pipes

Last edited by a moderator:
The wood is not ideal, but should dry out in the basement a bit quicker. I suspect the stove may be putting out the heat, but not 100% due to the wood. Compound that the heat is also getting trapped and lost in the uninsulated basement and false ceiling cavity.

Do we know yet what stove top temps you're running at? And what species is the wood?

I'm with begreen. My guess is that the stove is running okay but unless the concrete basement walls are insulated, they will suck up a lot of heat and lose to the ground, and that's probably what's happening.

I was able to get basement to just over 80 last night. So think stove had to break in a little plus just learning new stove worked.

Now I have to figure out my low end. If I set stove leas then 20 open burns all night but dosent give off enough heat to keep temp from dropping more then I like. If I set it higher im out off wood and house is cool anyways.

I suggest getting a stovetop thermometer to see how hot the stove is. If you can close the air more while the stove stays over 500 F and the fire is going well, you will send less heat up the flue while extending burn times.

Drier wood will help; BTU-high wood (oak, hickory etc.) will help; filling the firebox as much as possible will help.

Should those not be enough then the stove is undersized for your home.

I will be vert surprised if being in basement is the problem. my regencey had no problems what so ever.

Given that you haven't changed the basement, no the basement is not the problem. It is a problem but not the problem.
You went from a 3 ft3 stove to a 2.1 ?
I have a 2.2 and if I choke it back too soon it will smolder, smoke and not put out heat.

I suspect your wood though.

My stove in the basement will take almost a day to warm up the concrete walls ( and probably a bit of the insulating soil abutting them ) before upstairs starts getting far too warm, but I can cook on the top of the stove the whole time.

I will be vert surprised if being in basement is the problem. my regencey had no problems what so ever.
About a third of the heat generated by the stove is heating earthworms around the basement walls and through the sill and rim joists if they are uninsulated. The Regency was about 1/3d larger and may have been the minimum size needed to keep up with the heat loss. Compound this with less than ideal wood and it becomes a problem.

Reactions: Sprinter
Stove is now working great really pumping out heatbut unfortunately it is definitely undersized for my house.

So I'm checking kijiji to see if I can upgrade to a bigger stove. Im thinking now nothing smaller then 3000 sq ft stove. Any suggestions ( im activity looking for a bigger pacific energy). I also like blaze king or regencey but am open to any good name.

I'm also putting some serious thought into putting a 2nd stove on my main floor. Smaller stove just to help other stove and heat upstairs quicker. Have found a P.E. Vista and a couple other one im just waiting for a reply on.

I'm wait for a few replies from kijiji. 2 pacific energy and a Vermont casting and some European stove called a krachanhon (not right spelling) Faber king. all these ads missed important info. Model or sq ft tjey will heat

I'd put the super on the main floor and something else cheap and used in the basement. If I was going thru the effort to install a stove and chimney.

I cook and sleep on my main floor besides that I spend 95% of my time in basement. So biggest stove will be staying in basement.

I have thought about a stove in my upstairs for several years but I prefer a cool bedroom for aleeping. So since old stove heated upstairs fairly well I've just left it.

You should have gone with a Summit or other large stove.
One thing I noticed in the photo, looks like the horizontal section of pipe sloped down toward the thimble? Unless its an optical illusion.

Not picking on you, just gonna say this is the classic case of a person wishing they had bought a larger stove after purchase.
You can always build a smaller fire in a larger stove, and burn it efficiently and get good heat. But, you can only pack so much wood in a smaller stove.

Vermont casting
If your looking at VC make sure you can get parts first, Older VC stoves can be difficult. You might just want to bite the bullet and get one of these can't beat the price http://www.inglenookmfg.com/#!tb-cis-27/cie5 I did a goggle they have good reviews. there should be a dealer around ya somewhere? Or ship. Or go for a drive. That stove is a Monster and still use's a 6" flue. jay

If the basement is the primary location of activity then investing in insulation and fixing up this place makes the most sense financially and aesthetically.

Reactions: Grisu
You should have gone with a Summit or other large stove.
One thing I noticed in the photo, looks like the horizontal section of pipe sloped down toward the thimble? Unless its an optical illusion.

Not picking on you, just gonna say this is the classic case of a person wishing they had bought a larger stove after purchase.
You can always build a smaller fire in a larger stove, and burn it efficiently and get good heat. But, you can only pack so much wood in a smaller stove.

I realize now I should have got a summit. The problem was the guy I bought it off could only remember it was a regency but not the model. He told me as he remembered it was for a 2000 ft. As ive now discover it was a 3000 ft stove. I bought the super based on the 2000 ft.

I realize now I should have got a summit. The problem was the guy I bought it off could only remember it was a regency but not the model. He told me as he remembered it was for a 2000 ft. As ive now discover it was a 3000 ft stove. I bought the super based on the 2000 ft.

The pipes are all level.

Got some great news. Where I bought stoveis letting me return stove to upgrade to tthe summit. full refund except 250

Summit should be good at 3000 ft I would think

That is great news : ) and it's also good to have a dealer like that behind you. Very happy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.