Pacific Energy Vista (general questions)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rlaluna

Jan 31, 2019
New York
hi everyone,

I have a P.E. Vista 30 and I’m having issues with my temperature controlled blower which it came with.

Basically my stove can be full burn for hours and the blower would turn off. Meaning the thermostat control wasn’t recognizing the amount of heat. Does any one have experience with this issue that can offer some advice?

Thanks

At one point I thought the fan was acting up on my stove earlier this season. After some thought and checking out that my switches were operating properly, it dawned on me that maybe I had too much ash in the firebox insulating the thermocouple. That was exactly the problem. Try emptying your ashes out and see if the fan starts operating normal?

Also, make sure that the thermostatic snap switch is in firm contact with the stove body.

Reactions: Rlaluna
At one point I thought the fan was acting up on my stove earlier this season. After some thought and checking out that my switches were operating properly, it dawned on me that maybe I had too much ash in the firebox insulating the thermocouple. That was exactly the problem. Try emptying your ashes out and see if the fan starts operating normal?

So it definitely works better when it’s freshly vacuumed out. However after half a day, and turning the coals to ensure there is no ash insulating the thermocouple, the fan is very intermittent. It’s also a pain to try and turn the coals when I have a full firebox, and the constant opening cuts my burn efficiency down.

I may disable the thermocouple, and have a manual fan switch.

So it definitely works better when it’s freshly vacuumed out. However after half a day, and turning the coals to ensure there is no ash insulating the thermocouple, the fan is very intermittent. It’s also a pain to try and turn the coals when I have a full firebox, and the constant opening cuts my burn efficiency down.

I may disable the thermocouple, and have a manual fan switch.

And just to ask one follow up - in your experience has your fire bricks deteriorated on a seasonal basis? How long are the supposed to last? I’m already on my 2nd set in 12 months and there are a few bricks that are starting to crack/breakdown.

And just to ask one follow up - in your experience has your fire bricks deteriorated on a seasonal basis? How long are the supposed to last? I’m already on my 2nd set in 12 months and there are a few bricks that are starting to crack/breakdown.

I would go with what begreen said.....sounds like your thermocouple is to far away from the firebox .....some people do disconnect them all together. My firebrick are on there second season ...I do have a cracked one, I believe it was from pushing a piece of wood in with too much force. I had my stove checked out by the dealer before the season started and the chimney swept. They did not mention any concerns about the brick. The sweep produced enough ash to cover the bottom of a drinking glass. Now I know at least that I'm doing things correct and have good firewood. Piece of mind is everything when you have a fire inside your home on purpose.......

I dont know much about your stove but in general firebrick usually last atleast 5 years. Most of the ones in my regency are 10 yrs old with the stove being moved 3x.

Our firebricks in the T6 are now 10 years old with a lot of life left in them. One is cracked in the rear and I am the one that did that by jamming in a large piece of wood too hard a couple years ago.

Something is wrong if they are deteriorating this quickly. Are they getting scraped and banged into a lot?