Paint around wood stove set in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again everyone. I am having a Jotul F100 free standing (non-insert) set halfway into my fireplace. I was thinking of cleaning up the inside of the FP as some of it will be slightly visible under the legs and on the brick walls. I have seen some nice photos on here of what people have done.
My question is does the paint have to be "high heat" such as BBQ or Stove paint? All the surfaces are brick and about 4" away from the stove all around, half the stove will stick out proud of the FP. One of the main reasons I am asking is the high heat paint I can only find in bright white or black... please help!

Hello again everyone. I am having a Jotul F100 free standing (non-insert) set halfway into my fireplace. I was thinking of cleaning up the inside of the FP as some of it will be slightly visible under the legs and on the brick walls. I have seen some nice photos on here of what people have done.
My question is does the paint have to be "high heat" such as BBQ or Stove paint? All the surfaces are brick and about 4" away from the stove all around, half the stove will stick out proud of the FP. One of the main reasons I am asking is the high heat paint I can only find in bright white or black... please help!

Regular old rustoleum is rated to 200F. At a guess, the stove's rear heatshield will keep the rear masonary from getting that hot, but the sides might be a concern. Maybe less so if it's an exterior chimney stack. I am just guessing though!

Need to use high heat paint. The inside of the fire box will likely exceed 200. Should be able to find about any color of stove paint if you have a shop nearby.

ok now that I know it HAS to be high heat paint I have tried some Krylon spray/high heat in white. It has really bad coverage! And very hard t spray inside a FP in furnished home. Over and over the same spot and can still see brick. Canadian Tire here in Canada has brush on but only in high gloss black. Does anybody have any leads on other stores that may carry brush on paint for high heat?

I won't use Krylon any more, the coverage is just terrible. If you can't find something to brush on try Rustoleum or another brand. Difference can be night and day.

High temp flat color's seem to work best for me.

ok now that I know it HAS to be high heat paint I have tried some Krylon spray/high heat in white. It has really bad coverage! And very hard t spray inside a FP in furnished home. Over and over the same spot and can still see brick. Canadian Tire here in Canada has brush on but only in high gloss black. Does anybody have any leads on other stores that may carry brush on paint for high heat?
What color do you want? I would try a local stove shop and get Stove Bright or Rutland. May have to order it but it will be better than getting something on there that doesn't work.

I would love to know how this worked out. Dying to paint the inside of our rarely used brick fireplace white. I don't want to permanently ruin it though. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.