Parts for a hydraulic pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crittergitter65

Oct 3, 2021
Perry Co. Pa.
Hi, first post here,
first iwould like to thank you for allowing me into your group. Next, as you probably already figured out, i have a question, i would like to know if you can buy the internal gears for a 11 gal a min, two stage pump that's on my logsplitter?

I've seemingly looked everywhere that I can think of and I can't find an answer to this simple question!
1. Can I purchase replacement gears for the 11gpm 2 stage pump that I have on my logsplitter?
2. If they are available then where could I buy one ?
3. If they are available and I do buy one, do you know approximately what the price would be?

The rest of my pump is in excellent condition but a tooth broke off and got lodged between the teeth 8n the other gear, it broke clean and wedged tight right away, I'm confident that no other shavings got into the system , so why not just replace the gear that's needed?
Thank you very much! Critter

Most places don't carry parts for those pumps, its just not worth it, you can probably replace that pump entirely for $150.

This is one of those things where a local knowledgeable shop is the best bet, they will likely tell you in minutes what kind of pump it is and if parts are available.

If it was mine I'd try and replace the pump with the exact same model and keep the old one for parts.

Most places don't carry parts for those pumps, its just not worth it, you can probably replace that pump entirely for $150.

This is one of those things where a local knowledgeable shop is the best bet, they will likely tell you in minutes what kind of pump it is and if parts are available.

If it was mine I'd try and replace the pump with the exact same model and keep the old one for parts.
I agree. If you are able to find replacement gears, they will probably cost almost as much as another pump.

Pumps run very close clearances. You might find that from the force of the tooth breaking, something else got damaged. Then you’re out more money and time. I’d get another pump to get you going, then you can tinker with your old one if something happens again.

Do you know why the tooth broke? Bad filter, junk in the fluid? Or just a cheap pump not meant to last long? I’d be figuring that out in the meantime.

Well, it looks like a new pump is what I'm gonna have to get.
Thanks to everyone for your advice and help, i just figured it would be easy to find a replacement gear and that would be it, but it didn't turn out that way! It's a shame when something like this two hundred dollar pump is considered a "throwaway ", just part of the times we're in i guess?

Tlc1976, I'm a procrastinator at its best! This happened last January and I forgot about it until it was time to cut and split firewood this year. I think that there was a little bit of water in my hydraulic fluid and some of it at least settled in my pump the last time I used it and froze and when I tried to start it the next time as soon as the motor fired it almost immediately shut down and when I inspected it, there was a tooth on one of what I assume is the second stage gears busted off and wedged between the two gears that make up the stage and had to be almost an immediate and sudden stop! That's why I said I was pretty sure that there wasn't any shavings in the rest of the system and thought maybe it could be saved.
Again, thanks everyone!

You can usually find 2 stage pumps much cheaper than that. My local farm and fleet carry them for a little over a hundred.

I bought this one from northern tool company and paid 125.00 for it, i checked northern again and now it's either a few dollars over two hundred or a few dollars under, i can't remember which one it was, lol.