Pellet choice advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhater

Hearth Supporter
Jul 30, 2009
Southern NH
If you had the choice of brand, for the same price. Which would you choose? Cleanfire(NEWP), Eagle Valley, Greenway or LG Granules

Hi, oilhater out of the four you mention Ive burned eagle valley and lgs I would go with the eagle valley,they have high heat and very low ash and out of the 3 ton I burned the fines were minimal,but both are a very good pellet.

oilhater said:
If you had the choice of brand, for the same price. Which would you choose? Cleanfire(NEWP), Eagle Valley, Greenway or LG Granules

Can't help out the the pellet brands i have not used any of them. I do how ever have a St. Croix afton Bay and was wondering how you like yours? Mine is a 07 model and have had nothing but good luck and lots of heating with it. I burn 24/7 in the winter months and have had no issues to date.

No problems at all. Though I did get some heavy (black sooty) build up inside the stove and on the glass but it turned out that my exhaust vent was getting clogged. I vacuumed the crap out of it (from the outside) and inside. Restarted it and it worked like the day they installed it. The stove is great. I love it. I dont run mine 24/7 but I burnt about 2 1/3 ton last winter. 1+ ton of Natures Heat (Pennington)from Sam's cause they were cheap and about a ton of NEWP. Heat setting is almost always on 2. Anything higher and the house gets too hot. Didnt have to touch my(oil) thermostats at all, of course I dont have a huge house either. 1500sq' cape. What brand of pellets did you burn last year? How did you like them?

CleanFire (hardwood) caused me nothing but problems last year, and not all CleanFires are NEWP. I do, however, believe I had a bad batch. They were compressed too hard and end up breaking THREE Lovejoy couplings, not even counting the number of times the cup stuck without breaking the coupling and the fire would go out. I'd say avg to slightly above ash & clinkers, hardly any fines, good heat output.

LG's (had to mix these with the CleanFires, due to the CleanFire problem I had) ~ slightly above average fines, avg ash & below avg clinkers, more heat output then the hardwood CleanFires.

I have had no experience with your other pellets.

I know. the lady from NEWP told me they do bag for pelletsales.com, but may be only one of many that do this. I talked to Pelletsales.com today and sales rep said the cleanfire's are NEWP. I guess you never really know. Have you heard of anyone else having this problem with Cleanfire's hardwood pellet? BTW, Cleanfire's softwood are definetly not NEWP. I think I'm buying a ton of Cleanfire & a ton of Eagle Valley this weekend.

oilhater said:
No problems at all. Though I did get some heavy (black sooty) build up inside the stove and on the glass but it turned out that my exhaust vent was getting clogged. I vacuumed the crap out of it (from the outside) and inside. Restarted it and it worked like the day they installed it. The stove is great. I love it. I dont run mine 24/7 but I burnt about 2 1/3 ton last winter. 1+ ton of Natures Heat (Pennington)from Sam's cause they were cheap and about a ton of NEWP. Heat setting is almost always on 2. Anything higher and the house gets too hot. Didnt have to touch my(oil) thermostats at all, of course I dont have a huge house either. 1500sq' cape. What brand of pellets did you burn last year? How did you like them?

I agree with the heat setting but i like it warm (73) so i use 3 most of the time. I used dry creek pellets (good) but the best i have used were rocky mountain pellets, if you can find them then get them they are a great pellet. I have used lignetics they are good also. I would not ever use pennington's again they are crap as are the ACP's. Find the rocky's and you will be surprised by them, no fines, low ash,nice heat, smell great and they have the nicest handle on the heavy duty clear bag which makes them easy to handle. I burn 4-5 tons each winter off a thermostat and no propane for me.

eagle valley were very nice pellets.

The only one I have tried from the your list is LG Granules. They are really awesome. You will love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.