Pellet Stove On UPS Systems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

We get a tremendous amount of power outages on my street and I need some sort of backup system to keep my stove going. Can anyone recommend a battery backup unit in case of power outages? How would I know how much energy a Breckwell P22 stove requires to run properly? Is it equivalent to a small fan or is it equivalent to fridge?

It is probably somewhere in between/closer to the fridge, check your owners manual for elec specs, and find the current draw or amperage. I'll go out on a limb and say that you'll need a sizeable ups to operate the stove for any length of time.

Good luck

Thanks Werm. I am looking into an 2500 watts power inverter (similar to a ups).

Only difference will be; the inverter will not turn on automatically, you will have to hook up upon outage.

Most stoves use aprox 400 - 600 watts when starting up, and 200 - 300 watts under normal running. A good UPS system such as the APC RS1500 will run the stove for aprox 15 -20 mins. Which would give you enough time to hook up a generator or the power to come back on. If your looking for a longer run time, you will have to looking into a inverter hooked up to some deep cycle batteries, which depending on how many batteries you hook up will give you a few hours to a whole day's worth of run time. Hope this helps.

yes, that’s right, I would have to run the appliances directly connected to an surge protector emanating from the inverter.

THis subject never seems to go away but no one ever does any research. It goes like this.

"get a generator"

"Yes, I could go that route, but what about an APC ups"

"UPS won't last long"

"what kind of generator should I use?"

"get a Honda"

"you can get a much cheaper generator"

"what about the UPS?"

"It only has a modified sine wave inverter, which isn't good for ac motors"

"it is the computer board that is the problem, computers can be very touchy about thier power"

In truth, it is the variac motor controls that will have the hardest time dealing with a modified sinewave

In truth, if you want to last long quietly, get a true sinewave inverter from Sunforce, and at least a 100AH battery. If you want to go the generator route, get a champion from lowes for 375.00(it will work fine)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGNNUQ/ref=pd_luc_sbs_01_01

Did I about cover this guys?

I'll also recommend the Honda generator. I have the EU2000 watt model, pure sine wave, runs for hours on a gallon of gas, the wife can run her hair dryer on it (the major selling point) and I've seen them for under $1000. You can easily run your refrigerator and pellet stove on this size unit. And clean power so it won't hurt your computer while surfing the web in a power outage.

I thought about the Honda Model but for the money I purchased a Generac XP 8000 (reccomened over the Honda by my electrictian), it offers clean power just like the honda... <5%THD, but provides enough power for most of my house. 8,000 running watts 12,000 starting, I have used it over 200 hrs with no problems on sensitive equipment. Well worth the $1300 price tag IMO.

I use a APC Smart-UPS 1400 120v. This UPS will run my Advantage II-T for almost 2 hours, but I also use a 2800 watt Gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.