Pellets not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jmcnitt

Mar 18, 2017
Elmira, mi
i own a quadra fire Santa Fe and have used it for primary heat for 6-7 years now. We burn 3-4 tons a year and haven't had any big issues with it. My problem is everything is working fine but the pellets are not lighting. It's turning on and feeding pellets just fine but the burner is just not engaging. Yesterday I noticed that it was shutting off and turning back on very frequently which is very abnormal. It usually runs pretty long periods of time. Plus it's fairly warm out here right now. I guess my question is, could it be the thermocouple or maybe the control box? Any help would be very much appreciated. Im a carpenter and a heating guy!

i own a quadra fire Santa Fe and have used it for primary heat for 6-7 years now. We burn 3-4 tons a year and haven't had any big issues with it. My problem is everything is working fine but the pellets are not lighting. It's turning on and feeding pellets just fine but the burner is just not engaging. Yesterday I noticed that it was shutting off and turning back on very frequently which is very abnormal. It usually runs pretty long periods of time. Plus it's fairly warm out here right now. I guess my question is, could it be the thermocouple or maybe the control box? Any help would be very much appreciated. Im a carpenter and a heating guy!

The igniter is suppose to super heat the air near the bottom of the firepot and you should see smoke until they ignite. (thanks Kappel15 for the correction) Are you saying you do not see the smoldering and the ignition of the pellets? At a minimum, check to make sure the firepot is closed properly, no gap between the bottom plate and the pot. Make sure the igniter is glowing on start up. If it is not, test the igniter. Make sure you do not have a build up of deposits blocking contact between the pellets and igniter or keeping the pellets from being heated by the igniter. There is a small slit where the igniter sits and allows the heating of the pellets.

As far as it turning on and off frequently, I'm not sure how that happens if you can't get them to lite in the first place. Unless you are manually lighting them. If that is the case, describe you thermostat set up. Make sure the thermocouple is pushed all the way into the ceramic holder and it is positioned over the pot. I would not suspect control box just yet and would look to rule out the suggestions I have presented first before considering spending the big money.

Start with that and get back to us on the status.

Last edited:
All of the above is sound advice. You can see the igniter if you pull the ashpan out a bit, and see if it is getting red. You can test it by just doing a continuity test or making a cord out of an old lamp cord, and plug it in to direct power. Also check wire connections for good contact. Be careful as it gets hot quick. And just use a small hand mirror and flashlight to look at slit in bottom of pot, to make sure there are no clinkers blocking it, preventing ignition. And if it is warmer out, it may not take as long to heat house as it used to. kap