Performance Built 27 Ton Splitter from Lowes

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
That has happened to me with smaller4-6' EAB ash rounds. They have gone 6-8 feet easy!

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Try digging your foot plate into the ground a bit so everything is level- stops that walking away deal. personally I do not like the vertical and messing around all bent over . now if it was vertical say about 30 inches up off ground that wood be ok. There some units made that way. I have all seen one that operates at apx 35deg incline.
I don’t care for using my splitter in the vertical position either and I’ve never used it that way i end up hoisting some heavy rounds because of it lol.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
I like my 37 ton splitter I got from Menards two years ago. I split a lot of scrounge elm and it will often stop the wedge for a moment then when stage two kicks in it will jerk its way through the round grunting all the way. It has a sharp wedge and it will sorta cut through some of knots and narlies. I bought the splitter on Black Friday for $900, I thought that wasn’t too bad but no, it isn’t real fast.

blades

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2008
WI, Leroy
speed is overrated- from my perspective- lot of snow on the mountain - hasn't thinned out though. if something goes south it just does it faster. course i would like a bit faster return stroke- easy fix, but the darn oem pump hasn't worn out yet ( knock on wood).

Reactions: Highbeam

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Cycle time is very important to me, my splitter has about an 8 1/2sec cycle, with that said, that 8 1/2 sec's is just a hair faster then my typical working speed on most wood splitting that I do. The second most important thing is 2 stage tonnage, generally speaking mine is a 20 ton unit and I've never had an issue yet.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Cycle time is very important to me, my splitter has about an 8 1/2sec cycle, with that said, that 8 1/2 sec's is just a hair faster then my typical working speed on most wood splitting that I do. The second most important thing is 2 stage tonnage, generally speaking mine is a 20 ton unit and I've never had an issue yet.
Have you split any tough elm? Most elm isn’t too bad to split but I get some that my newer 37 ton machine has a hard time spitting. I know some on here say to just throw it to the side and get rid of it if it won’t split but I can’t throw good wood away. It’s kinda like I have to stop and pick up wood that has fallen off peoples trailers up here lol. This round I took a photo of stopped my big splitter then the 2nd stage kicked in but it still had a hard time with this one.

FB6D04B7-3F45-4711-9892-063412AD77E2.jpeg

Reactions: Highbeam

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
big rounds- saw them in half ( what we call noodling) or 1/4's, when no mechanical help is available. Course when they get into the 4ft dia range it takes a bit longer View attachment 261541 ;lol
Or get out the skid and inverted splitter and cut them down to size for your other splitter. I did it that way for awhile but the skid steer had to go since I hardly used it anymore and I gave the buyer a very good deal on the splitter just to get it out of my yard. It kinda stunk really but I can live without it.

blades

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2008
WI, Leroy
Elm and the like is why I have a thin wedge with a spreader located behind it.Shears its way through rather than blunt force.

Reactions: triptester