Pex and insluation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e60982

Jan 24, 2009
ne mich
Well the weather is a tad better in northern MI. Been thinking about my hook up. Do you guys think 1.25 is ok for a 100 ft run. Also what about pipe insluation. I hear closed foam is good. Wanna do it right. This is a good forum so much knowledge. Look foward to reply. Windy Hill posen MI. 12 in. snow last nite ugh.

more snow than we know what to do with here. At least it's melting, today, tomorrow it may snow another 12" There is an insulated pex for long underground runs. Cover with 2" Blue. sweetheat

I'm sure the more experienced will give you the word on tubing size, but I think it all comes down to how many btu's you need to deliver. I would over size in case you ever want to increase the heat load and being able to use smaller pumps is an obvious long term advantage.

I know there are several densities with closed cell polyurethane SF. I don't know what the standard is in this application.
I would also go with an installer that has some experience with this type of install which in my area is nobody.

I almost forgot what snow is until last week-we got about 8 inches which was promptly gone in a few days. My five year old daughter
had a blast.

Good luck,
Noah

Thanks I will look into pro installer. The gentleman I bought the stove from will help me also. He is a experienced installer. But he lives a good bit away and I hate to impose. I think I will do the bull work my self and leave the finness to a pro. One thing for sure I cant wait to cut that propain and eletric bill. What a hit I took this winter. Just wondering where do you go to put on the signatures you guys use .. Thanks Windy Hill posen Mich.

My limited experience has taught me that 1.25" is as small as you want to go. My 1" pex (180' round trip) is probably a little small for my application. I'm trying to move 90kbtu/h with it with limited success.
Most guys are having really good luck with spray foam installations underground. I, on the other hand, made it very difficult for myself and used 3" pvc with foam lengths wrapping the pex, then put aluminum faced insulation around that, then wrapped the whole thing in heavy plastic. I real chore for sure. Yea, it works but jeesh!
1.25" should move a 'lot' of heat for you. The experts should be able to tell you how much. I'm just a low-man. :)

np

Thanks, That is what I hear 1.25 min. I hope I can afford the foam. I suppose I cannot afford not to. I had a good wood hauler.But he Got married in Oct. He said he will help if I buy him a new saw. Told him I would but I will store it at my house. Thanks ,Windy.

windyhill said:
Just wondering where do you go to put on the signatures you guys use ..
Look at the very top of the screen, you will see a line that says "Logged in as: <your name> · Your Public Profile · Your Control Panel · Member List · HearthWiki · Fuel Price Reports · Hearth.com Home · Log-Out"

Click on "Your Control Panel" and that will take you to a panel that lets you control all sorts of settings, including setting your signature. (See the menu on the left side of the panel)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.