Pilot problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frecny

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2010
US
This past March we replaced the entire pilot assembly on our Heat N Glow insert since the aluminum lines were corroded. It hadn't been lit for years. We lit it in April then tried last night and the pilot would not light....no gas smel...nothing...any ideas?

NG or LP?
Gas valve(s) on?
Did you bleed the air out of the line?
Got LP in the tank?
Is the pilot orifice clear?

It's LP and both gas valves are on. As for bleeding the system, I held down the pilot button for a few minutes while trying to light it. How do I clean the orifice?

Look for spiders in the orifice or even in the line. Be safe.
Ed

frecny said:
It's LP and both gas valves are on. As for bleeding the system, I held down the pilot button for a few minutes while trying to light it. How do I clean the orifice?

I guess the BIG question now is "Are you getting spark?"
Did you remove the glass so you could HEAR the gas flow?
After a 6 month break, you may have to hold the Pilot knob in for as long as 5 minutes.
Either that or you break the gas line between the shut-off & the gas valve & try to bleed
the gas line there. This is the best place because you can turn the gas off once you smell it.
To get at the pilot orifice, turn the gas off at the nearest shutoff.
On the HnG units, the pilot orifice is inside the fire box, behind the logs...
A 7/16 (or 11mm) open end wrench is needed to loosen the retainer.
Unscrew the retainer & drop the pilot tube, if you can.
You may have to disconnect the pilot bracket from the floor of the fire box with a 1/4" driver.
Carefully lift the bracket up & the pilot orifice should be exposed.
Remove it & hold it up to a light to see if it's blocked.
Open the gas valve to shoot a blast of gas thru the tube & shut it.
Replace the pilot orifice & tighten everything

I am getting spark. We tried lighting it with a BBQ lighter, but again there was no gas. I would be very disappointed if the line is corroded and I have to replace the assembly again! Could it be? Thanks for the help!
How should I clean the orifice if it is blocked? a wire?

frecny said:
I am getting spark. We tried lighting it with a BBQ lighter, but again there was no gas. I would be very disappointed if the line is corroded and I have to replace the assembly again! Could it be? Thanks for the help!
How should I clean the orifice if it is blocked? a wire?

Did you break open the gas line after the shut off?
I would still do that to bleed it to make sure the gas is getting there.
Clean the orifice with a can of air or a small pin.
Is the LP tank on? Turn it off & turn it on again slowly...
Corroded aluminum tubing is pretty rare - at least in my experience.
If it's getting full of crap from the gas feed, make sure there's a
drip leg in the system. We try to put one within 5 Feet of the appliance,
right after a shut-off...

Status
Not open for further replies.