Pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(How come the pine doesn't get fancy tarps and skids and the well stacked and split treatment ?)

Only because the oak gets done first then the pine. I am working on it now and should have it split and stacked in the next week or two. It and the oak will be used this fall.

Text me..Ii'll come 'n get it.

Nuff said

I was at a friend's place Saturday when somebody called him and asked if he knew anyone that wanted the wood from 4 pine trees they had just cut up and stacked. My buddy started saying that nobody would want pine, and I quickly stopped him and asked him where it was. Turns out it was my old boss's place about 10 minutes away. So I went yesterday morning and now have a truck/trailer load sitting in the driveway ready to unload, and there's probably about 3-4 more loads there to take whenever I have the time to get it! The pine is actually live about a mile from my parent's place and would be easy to give him a load, but he absolutely refuses to burn pine!

Wow I would be all over that!

Even though I am in the Northeast I was happy to grab a pine scrounge recently. This is about half of it:

Y3i4rSfl.jpg

Mostly because from this forum I learned that the old creosote wives' tale isn't true and secondly beggars can't be choosers :). I have a chance to grab more but was wondering a few things:

1. What is the shelf life on this stuff? I recall reading that maybe it degrades a couple seasons after being c/s/s. If I store it properly how long can I expect it to hold up?

2. Assuming we don't have an overly wet summer can the pine I split and stacked a couple of weeks ago be expected to be ready for this fall?

3. Would splitting on the thin side speed up drying time or does that not matter much for pine? Would it help if I split the below splits again?

hFdbXBUl.jpg

Mostly because from this forum I learned that the old creosote wives' tale isn't true and secondly beggars can't be choosers :).

So true...
I have a chance to grab more but was wondering a few things:

1. What is the shelf life on this stuff? I recall reading that maybe it degrades a couple seasons after being c/s/s. If I store it properly how long can I expect it to hold up?

In my experience, pine really likes to soak up rain. Thus, I always top cover my stacks. Stored that way, I don't see why it would not last for years. Are the studs in your walls going bad?
2. Assuming we don't have an overly wet summer can the pine I split and stacked a couple of weeks ago be expected to be ready for this fall?

Probably yes if dried in a sunny and windy spot and protected from moisture. Having relatively thin, straight pieces stacked loosely will help. Bigger and knotty stuff I like to dry for two summers.
3. Would splitting on the thin side speed up drying time or does that not matter much for pine? Would it help if I split the below splits again?

That's about as big as I would split them to dry them for certain over one summer. If you can grab more, I would just sort them after splitting: smaller pieces in stacks for this winter and the bigger pieces stacked up for next year's winter. Anything small that lies around after splitting I put in a bucket and store in the garage - makes great kindling.

Be careful when burning a lot of pine. When I just started using it, I once stuffed my firebox with dry pine on a layer of hot coals and barely managed to keep my stove from going nuclear. Raking all the coals in the front, mixing in some hardwood and reducing the air much earlier than usual helps to control the fire.

Be careful when burning a lot of pine. When I just started using it, I once stuffed my firebox with dry pine on a layer of hot coals and barely managed to keep my stove from going nuclear. Raking all the coals in the front, mixing in some hardwood and reducing the air much earlier than usual helps to control the fire

Very true about the raking. Regarding shelf life.... I picked up some pine for last winter that had been in a garage for 6 years and was to dry but was in good shape, in fact the ends were as white as the day it was cut (stored in a dark garage). It was covered in mouse droppings so my wife would say to me "oh are we burning mouse wood today"? Your picture looks like a good score.

Status
Not open for further replies.