Portage and Main BL 2840 or BL3444...and coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am going to be getting a bigger furnace to heat the house over the next few months, as we are doing an addition to the place, and the amount of heated space will increase to approximately 5652 square feet. The BL2840 brochure I have says it heats 4000+ square feet, and the BL3444 is listed as "up to 8000" square feet. Does anyone have experience with these units? If so, would the 2840 be adequate for this much space? Well insulated BTW. Or would I be better off with the larger unit? I just fear that the larger one might just smolder a lot, but the smaller one might need loaded every 6 hours or so...who knows.

Second question...these are coal furnaces, as reps in PA cannot sell OWB's anymore unless they are gassers...but they can sell coal burners. Does anyone out there ever burn coal? If so, how expensive is it in your neck of the woods? How many tons do you go through in a month? Is a ton about the same equivalent as a cord? I have no idea how coal ranks in these regards...finally, where do you even get coal? I see it available in bags online, but it seems to be a bit pricey that way. I am hoping there is somewhere you can get it in bulk, or have a bucket load dropped in the trailer to bring home somehow. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I can't help with the furnace. As far as coal in PA it's about everywhere. You need to see if you can burn bituminous or Anthracite. Anthricite is pretty expensive. $230 a ton. Bituminous is cheap as dirt $60-100 a ton. Anthracite is definitely the better burner. Bituminous is cheap plentiful but dirty and you'll use more of it. If you are serious about coal (and for that sqft I would be.) Check out the nepa forums.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I am going to be getting a bigger furnace to heat the house over the next few months, as we are doing an addition to the place, and the amount of heated space will increase to approximately 5652 square feet. The BL2840 brochure I have says it heats 4000+ square feet, and the BL3444 is listed as "up to 8000" square feet. Does anyone have experience with these units? If so, would the 2840 be adequate for this much space? Well insulated BTW. Or would I be better off with the larger unit? I just fear that the larger one might just smolder a lot, but the smaller one might need loaded every 6 hours or so...who knows.

Second question...these are coal furnaces, as reps in PA cannot sell OWB's anymore unless they are gassers...but they can sell coal burners. Does anyone out there ever burn coal? If so, how expensive is it in your neck of the woods? How many tons do you go through in a month? Is a ton about the same equivalent as a cord? I have no idea how coal ranks in these regards...finally, where do you even get coal? I see it available in bags online, but it seems to be a bit pricey that way. I am hoping there is somewhere you can get it in bulk, or have a bucket load dropped in the trailer to bring home somehow. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
===========================================================================================

Anthracite coal is readily available in PA.

You get more heat out of Anthracite Coal on per pound basis.

There is no point in investing in a forest eater when you can invest in a Keystoker
Furnace for your needs.

The keystoker furnaces burn anthracite pea coal.

A Keystoker furnace can also producer hot water for you as well.

www.keystoker.com

I have the bl28-40. They told me it was good to heat 5000sqft. In your case, I would go with the next size up stove. Because if you figure your sqft and then hot water, the 28-40 won't be big enough. As far as the stove goes, I really like it. I live in Missouri and burn it 6 months out of the year. I am currently heating 1300sqft house and hot water. I have a 30x50 shop I will heat when it's done. I go through an average of 6 to 7 long bed pick up loads of wood a year.

You can call portage and main. I talked to Robert and he was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.