• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PeteFire

Feb 4, 2021
Hey there, I've been following a long time, but first time posting.

I just installed a used catalytic wood stove (dutchwest 4621) and a new 6in double wall stainless steel chimney liner into a 6x6 terracotta lined chimney.

I started using my stove in Jan 2021 (one month). The wood im using was cut, split, and stacked in April and May 2020 (8ish months "seasoned").

I just noticed my shingles next to my chimney seen to be burned. Should I be worried about a chimney fire? Or damaged liner? Or bad flashing? Or what? (See photo).

I have a wife and 2 kids under 3. I definitely dont want my house burning down. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Resized_20210204_162310.jpeg

Looks like creosote drippings are staining the roof. The wood, if hardwood is not seasoned yet. Most hardwood needs 2 yrs to season after stacking. A test of wood moisture would verify this.

Reactions: Indianawood
Hey there, I've been following a long time, but first time posting.

I just installed a used catalytic wood stove (dutchwest 4621) and a new 6in double wall stainless steel chimney liner into a 6x6 terracotta lined chimney.

I started using my stove in Jan 2021 (one month). The wood im using was cut, split, and stacked in April and May 2020 (8ish months "seasoned").

I just noticed my shingles next to my chimney seen to be burned. Should I be worried about a chimney fire? Or damaged liner? Or bad flashing? Or what? (See photo).

I have a wife and 2 kids under 3. I definitely dont want my house burning down. I appreciate any and all feedback.

View attachment 273698
Your flashing certainly isn't right either

Something going on that shouldn’t be, can’t really tell, but I see a liner in your future..

If it were me, I’d pull those shingles off and take a look just to make sure that roof deck is not scorched, etc. And yes, the flashing looks weird for sure. I would also have a mason come out and fix that mortar/crown. I wouldn’t think that small amount at the top would be too much. Definitely worth the investment, it’s only gonna get worse, and that will cause more water problems than you would think. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteFire
Looks like some staining from tar, best bet through, stop burning and get up there, pull the cap and check out what going on up there.

What do you mean? We just had the roof replaced in September. They added the Flashing. What should it look like?

The flashing I illustrated is copper, it doesn’t have to be copper, and you don’t have to see the step flashing. The step flashing could be underneath with a NEAT counter flashing installed into a riglet that is scored into the masonry ...

The liner goes all the way up, 4 inches past the terracotta. Its a double wall liner.

Are you saying the double wall extends visually 4” out of the top of the chimney, in other words if you go up on the roof, your looking directly into the liner?

Are you saying the double wall extends visually 4” out of the top of the chimney, in other words if you go up on the roof, your looking directly into the liner?
Yes. Looking from the side, the masonry is there, then about 2 inches of terracotta, then about 4inches of ss liner, then the chimney cap about 4 inches above that.

Reactions: GENECOP
Yes. Looking from the side, the masonry is there, then about 2 inches of terracotta, then about 4inches of ss liner, then the chimney cap about 4 inches above that.
You should have atleast 6" from the liner to the cap

What do you mean? We just had the roof replaced in September. They added the Flashing. What should it look like?
NOT LIKE THAT!!!!

Reactions: GENECOP
Do you have any pictures from the install?

This is mine. Just had a new roof put on about two years ago. Step flashing is underneath that counter flashing piece. Counter flashing is inserted into a groove that was cut into the brick, then a good bead of caulk finishes it off. I think u can use mortar also. Shingles lay nice and flat on it. Your is kinda flared up. I would think water would run right under there. I bet if u pull those shingles up you’ll have some staining on the roof deck. I’m no roofer though.

F8BB17AD-5022-4016-BBE9-A1302CFBC0B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back to the OP's situation, do you have a moisture meter to check how much moisture is in the wood? If you do then take a room temp split, re-split and check the fresh face, you want 20% or lower, also what are your stove top temps while burning?