prepping a site for wood seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
Hi, all.

I'm expecting a delivery of eight cords of birch that I expect to use in 12-13, 13-14, 14-15, so planning for long-term storage. The spot I selected apparently appealed to PO for same purpose, as I pulled a couple of truckloads of wood out of there yesterday that was stacked many years ago and left to rot. I could see that the wood had been placed on cross-pieces about 6" in diameter, long since pressed into forest floor. Ground there is deep moss, dampish. I know that a lot of the insect colonies that inhabited the rotted wood went off to the dumpster with their home, but I'm sure there are plenty of bugs still in the ground there. Mostly saw small black ants, no carpenter ants. Doesn't mean they weren't there--we worked fast so as to minimize their relocation before they were in the truck.

Raked over the ground to level it out, as some of those logs were completely buried--in other words, there's still some rotting wood in that spot. I'm leaving it open to the sun and wind for awhile to try to encourage the critters to relocate.

It's a good location in terms of access to firewood, and I don't have a lot of choices for long-term storage. This is on a slope, and I was planning on stair-stepping pallets for stacking them. It will get some wind there, some sun. Not ideal, but not terrible. Wondering about the wisdom of putting something down under the pallets to block moisture and insect travel. I have some scrap corregated metal roofing that I considered for this purpose, and some old tarps. Normally I wouldn't use tarps, but this is at enough of an angle to where there would be general drainage (probably some puddling on it, though. I'm afraid that if I just put down pallets, they will go the way of those cross-pieces and rot out.

Another thought I had was sprinkling down some ant poison on that spot, but I'm not really much of a fan of spreading toxic chemicals around the homestead. I've heard of boric acid as an option--recommendations? Also, where do you find boric acid, and what brand names is it sold under? Is this a less-toxic choice? Safe around pets?

The wood I'm storing there will be split before stacking, but it's quite green and summer-cut, so lots of moisture in it. Ideas, suggestions appreciated.

I have a 20x20 concrete slab it holds 10 cords stacked. I will build a shop on it some day and make a 20x20 gravel spot for the wood.

smokinjay said:
I have a 20x20 concrete slab it holds 10 cords stacked. I will build a shop on it some day and make a 20x20 gravel spot for the wood.

That makes a lot of sense given your woodworking interests and boundless energy. Not a solution for me, though. I'm trying to leave a lighter footprint in my woods. Right now, I'm busy cleaning up the mess that PO left behind. I figure that when this wood is used up, the pallets will be ready to burn or go to the dumpster. As Dennis has pointed out, they're not the most esthetic objects to leave laying around.

NordicSplitter said:
If you can......burn out the area. That will take care of bugs, PO & anything else undesirabe.
PO? She's moved on, and that sounds painful . . . We've already had several forest fires this season too close to the city--even though the ground is damp in that spot, I couldn't take that risk. Don't think the temptation hasn't crossed my mind.

Gosh--I'm being picky, aren't I?

snowleopard said:
smokinjay said:

That makes a lot of sense given your woodworking interests and boundless energy. Not a solution for me, though. I'm trying to leave a lighter footprint in my woods. Right now, I'm busy cleaning up the mess that PO left behind. I figure that when this wood is used up, the pallets will be ready to burn or go to the dumpster. As Dennis has pointed out, they're not the most esthetic objects to leave laying around.

NordicSplitter said:
If you can......burn out the area. That will take care of bugs, PO & anything else undesirabe.
PO? She's moved on, and that sounds painful . . . We've already had several forest fires this season too close to the city--even though the ground is damp in that spot, I couldn't take that risk. Don't think the temptation hasn't crossed my mind.

Gosh--I'm being picky, aren't I?

Hell I have issue's stacking on flat concrete, darn sure know I could not pull off pallets! ;-)

Snowleopard, if you intend to wait a bit to stack the wood, why not just go out with a shovel every now and then and work it just a bit. If you have a tiller, then so much the better. Working the dirt will dry it out fast unless you get some big rains but in your area I'm guessing that would dry quite fast. As for the tarps, I would not go that route because it would tend to hold moisture under the tarp and that tarp won't last long. Pallets will work but I'd still go out in the woods and cut some 5"-6" poles to lay down. You could even cut them shorter, like 4'. Yes, in time they will work into the dirt but not before you use the wood. I usually cut soft maple to use as poles and they don't last a long time but I'll still get 4-6 years use from them and they look a whole lot better than pallets and it is easier to work with. Just recall all the stories about folks breaking a board on a pallet and screwing up a foot or ankle. Besides, I think they really look terrible when you take the wood off. So long as they are hid, okay but stack them up for a while and it looks.......well, unappealing.

As for the ants, we don't do anything to keep them out of the wood piles except when I am doing the initial stacking and find some ants, I just throw those logs a ways from the rest of the wood. By the time I'm done splitting or stacking, those ants are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.