Pretty powerful Ice Storm.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I here about the damage this storm caused, the more I realize how lucky I was to only have my electric out overnight. There are a lot of people, not too far from me, that still have their electric off. I think the people out in very rural areas are best at handling this sort of thing. They're more rugged than the city softies.
With all the hills in Ky., there seems to be a lot of accidents where people run off the road and end up in the creek on their top, when this type of weather occurs.

BeGreen said:
Just saw some of the news footage about the storm. It's looks very serious, especially in Kentucky. Keep checking on your neighbors, especially the elderly and those totally dependent on electricity for heat. Understand that they are proud and may not at first want to admit they need help. Bring them hot food or better yet, pull out the sleeping bags and have them over for a warm night.

I hope things clear up soon. You've reminded me to better address our emergency power. I have an old Coleman contractor generator, but we no longer need such a big fellow with the new stove. I am going to downsize, but upgrade to an inverter-generator for cleaner, quieter power. A 2kw generator will power our refrig and some lights easily. They sip gas at about 5-7 hrs/gallon. If you run it 5 hrs a day, 5 gallons should last 5 days. We keep about 10 gallons on hand. With metering, that should give us about 2 weeks. The alternative is to order one set up for propane. I've seen a shop online that does this with the Yamaha inverter portables.

Am curious about these inverter-generators. What name brand are you considering and what size and price range? There are a lot out there and a name/price range will narrow the field to a more manageable 'study'.

Thanks.

I'm looking at the Hondas and Yamahas. In my size range they make some nice quiet reliable units. We can be without power for extended periods of time so fuel economy becomes an important issue. Especially if gas pumps and deliveries are not happening for a week or more. We can get by with a 2 to 2.5 kw 110v generator because we have few electrical emergency needs besides refrigeration.

BeGreen said:
I'm looking at the Hondas and Yamahas. In my size range they make some nice quiet reliable units. We can be without power for extended periods of time so fuel economy becomes an important issue. Especially if gas pumps and deliveries are not happening for a week or more. We can get by with a 2 to 2.5 kw 110v generator because we have few electrical emergency needs besides refrigeration.

Thanks for the names. So nice to recognize both of them in this world of today where everything changes so quickly.

I've been out for 7 days and they say it may be 5 or more before we get back up and running. Cranking both stoves, running the generator, cooking on the Coleman stove and the woodstove. The phone came back on and the cell phones are now working again also. On the up side we have water and the propane water heater so that's a plus. My woods look like a war zone(and sounded like one too with all the trees exploding) and will take awhile to recover. I was OK for the 1st week or so but I am REALLY ready for the power to come back on before the sub zero temps return in a day or so. I am real tired of breaking ice so the livestock can drink every couple of hours. Everyone stay safe and lend a hand(or some wood) to your neighbors in need.
Joe

We just got another 8" of snow and the temps will be dipping down to 8° by tomorrow night. The 25mph winds don't make it any better either. I hope everyone still without electric is safe.
The bright side of it all is that starting Thursday, temps will be above frezzing for at least 4 days. That includes night temps.

Hang in there Woodford and great news about the upcoming temps!
More of our friends and neighbors got both their power and phones back today but we still have some friends that our not back on yet. Temps are suppose to go up by Thurs here too and they are suppose to stay up there for several days is the best part of that news.

Status
Not open for further replies.