Primary Heating with Wood... but... issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see a solution come together.

IYou can actually walk into the stairwell and hit a wall of hot air. The upper level of my house can be 30 degrees difference in temp.

Now, i've tried blowing air up the stairwell/down the stairwell, blowing air up the floor vents/down the floor vents, turning the kitchen ceiling fan on pulling/pushing, closing off one vent entirely and attempting fans in the vent or stairwell... the heat just is hanging there.
You may be doing something wrong with the vents. Remember if you blowing warm air up one vent, there has to be a similar vent on the opposite side of the house for the cold air to return. I already got good results blowing warm air up a single 4 x 11" vent. The trick is you need a fan to move a good deal of air. I used a double squirrell cage fan i got out of a microrange. One of those over the stove microwave range hoods. I do get much better results blowing the warm air up thru an 8 X 12 floor vent. (with a bigger fan of course) It gets my upper floor to 75-76 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.