Problems with Vermont Casting Gifford Wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ProfSteve

Mar 3, 2023
Massachusetts
I recently had a VC Gifford wood insert installed and when it runs it covers the glass with creosote, smoke pours out when you open the door, and when the door is closed it won't burn. The only way for me to run it properly is to crack the door open and let it pull air from the living space. I believe the problem is this new type of unit does not allow me damper control so the box is starving in a manufacture pre set "low mode". Also the installers did not insulate the flex pipe and did not install an outside air kit, which the manufacturer recommends when you have mini splits. I have spoken with the installer/sellers but so far they seem to want to just send out a tech to see if anything was not installed properly ( a bull sh*t answer IMO).

I have tried two types of wood, but in fairness have not metered it yet for moisture. I am hoping others could give me some recommendations to fix the issue. I should not have to put up with a product where I have have to crack the door to run it for the rest of my life!

Steve

It's most likely the wood, but could be made worse if the draft is weak. Try some supermarket wood bundles or mix in some clean 2x4 cut-offs.

How tall is the liner? Is this a basement install?

Does the fire burn better if a nearby window is opened an inch?

Thank you, the liner is about 24 feet, it's in a living room and yes if you just crack the door the fire burns fine
That makes it sound like the fire is starving for air. If so, this is not a stove issue, the room needs fresh, makeup air. An ERV/HRV may be required.

people normally don't have wood that's 11% mc when there first starting.. Did you split the wood and check the moisture on the freshly split face with the pins going with the grain.. also was it room temperature.. do not check the end grain or the outside.. thats the dryest.. to me honestly it sounds like wet wood. your smoldering the wood .. not because your doing something wrong but its not taking off because its to wet.. your stovepipe is high enough so im not thinking a draft issue.. please recheck your wood using the method above and post wood MC

thank you, checked it as you said 13 and 14 at highest, its pretty seasoned stuff. When i crack the door it runs ok but when shut it goes out and creosote builds up.. My problem is I'm not happy with having to hack a new machine, i should be able to shut the door and have it run ok

I thinks it's these BS catalysts and lack of control over the damper, but not sure how to solve
If opening a nearby window makes a notable improvement, the stove it's a sign that the stove room is tight. It's not the stove.

i shaould have been more clear. I never open a door or window in the room. I open the stove door and that's what get's the fire going. this is why I feel it's the stove

i shaould have been more clear. I never open a door or window in the room. I open the stove door and that's what get's the fire going. this is why I feel it's the stove
So.. your not understanding what is being asked... He is saying your room. may be tight.. this is why the stoves not drafting and the stove breaths easier with the stove door open.. what he is asking of you is to keep the stove door closed and crack a window to see of the draft in the stove improves..

You've made it clear what your doing.. were trying to walk you through a process of figuring out what it is..

oh, ok thanks. i'll try that, however i can tell you i have a 1950's ranch with original leaky single pane windows so it's not a tight house

not sure if this makes a difference

Got it, no problem. That makes a big difference.

Get a store-bought wood bundle or take some 2x4 cut-offs and add several of them to the firewood before starting the fire. If that makes a notable improvement, it's probably the firewood that is causing the problem.

24' is unusually high for a one-story ranch home. Is the ceiling extra tall in the stove room?