Progress hybrid bypass handle adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slickheadhunter

Mar 3, 2019
NH
Hello,
Is there a way to adjust the downward pressure (tightness) of the bypass handle of a Woodstock progress hybrid stove?
I've looked at it and can't seem to figure out how it's done, or if it's capable of being done. My handle is loose without very much downward pressure like it was back in November when I purchased it.

Thanks

Something may be lose. Best to call Woodstock in the morning.

I could be wrong as I have an error rate, but I don't think there is any "pressure" needed. I know what you are saying as I thought pressure was needed to "lock down" the internal bypass door. It's just gravity that drops the door and the handle can be loosy goosy. I used to "lock" it but found that by engaging the cat and "locking it" I couldn't tell if the cat was engaged or not visually. So I leave the handle slightly cocked and then I can know if it is engaged.

Thanks,
Seems as though the gasket has compressed since I installed it this past November, it would snap into the closed(horizontal) position.
The control arm for the bypass on my fireview was adjustable to keep a good seal, I'll have to call them to be sure!

Thanks again

I know what you are saying, maybe the bypass is warped, it happens, trust me

No not warped, the gasket has compressed. I have replaced a couple bypass covers on my fireview, this one is still brand new.

Best to have all the gaskets on hand, they're cheap enough and easy enough to replace. My bypass gasket only lasted two years.

My bypass handle is also loose when its hot, tight when cold. I'm pretty sure the weight of the door itself is good enough to seal the bypass. A little leakage wouldn't really hurt much anyway. The way to tighten it would be to bend the bar that clamps the bypass down a little bit. Maybe slightly fatter gaskets would help too.

Reactions: Slickheadhunter