Progress Hybrid Install and Experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wonder how it runs without the cat?

Im not getting any more cat activation as far as I can tell. The stove still puts out plenty of heat but you need to get it really cooking and get consistent secondaries going to get that heat. Because of that you have to watch it and be a little more hands on when you don't want to burn through the wood fast. I find myself leaving the air control barely cracked for probably an hour on startup.

We do one fire a day for the normal weather here so its not costing me more in wood and the stove did fine for the really cold snap we had earlier in the winter. The house is plenty warm but i'm not having to crack a door anymore like I used to.

Its been about 5 or 6 weeks out of the predicted 6 to 8 weeks for the backorder and my cc hasn't been charged yet. I'll update here again when the new cat comes.

Reactions: Todd
That’s interesting. I’ve often wondered how these new hybrids would operate without the cat. Sounds like draft is increased which makes sense since the cat acts somewhat like a damper in the exhaust stream.

Im not getting any more cat activation as far as I can tell.
Maybe you answered but I missed the reply.
Have you tried rinsing the old cat in vinegar/water followed by distilled water rinse . Its not a cure but helps rejuvenate.

I haven't tried the vinegar rinse due to not really needing to and not having a suitable sized container which wont have me using a ton of vinegar.

Also I still have the cat in the stove its just not doing anything. I close the bypass like normal once the logs are going well which reduces draft and keeps the hot gas in the stove longer.

I haven't tried the vinegar rinse due to not really needing to and not having a suitable sized container which wont have me using a ton of vinegar.

Also I still have the cat in the stove its just not doing anything. I close the bypass like normal once the logs are going well which reduces draft and keeps the hot gas in the stove longer.
Why you are saying the cat is no longer active yet you don't think the vinegar rinse is needed.

You can use a small (13 gallon) trash can liner to place the cat in and use just enough 50/50 vinegar water to cover the cells.
Swish the cat a few times and then replace the mixture with pure distilled water and repeat.
I use two trash can liners in case the first one gets a small pin hole leak works like a charm.

Another way is to use a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar/distilled water and just spray the cat and let it soak for an hour or so then rinse with distilled water over the sink. I’ve done this method many times when I burned Woodstocks.

Another way is to use a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar/distilled water and just spray the cat and let it soak for an hour or so then rinse with distilled water over the sink. I’ve done this method many times when I burned Woodstocks.
I've tried it that way. The Progress cat is BIG. Kind of time consuming and not as effective using the spray bottle. Dunking it gently gets a lot of the soot out. Its worked well for me.

Maybe ill give the spray bottle method a try.

I was saying I dont think I need it from a heat output stanpoint for my house in this relatively mild winter we are having, not because I dont think it will help. Im also busy and even though its a small project, its another project. And finally I'm hoping the new one ships soon and makes it a moot point.

It would be nice if you could visually see the cat while in operation on the Progress like you can on some stoves to confirm/deny functionality.

Maybe Woodstock can go ahead and offer a ceramic glass top option instead of the cooktop/soapstone?!

Did it get installed? The cold has returned. How is the PH working now?

Im going to leave it in the box until next season. We get a full afternoon of sun so with the current temps just maybe need a small evening or morning fire.

There was a definite return to almost normal after my half assed vinegar wash of the old one but that only lasted maybe 2 or 3 weeks before it wore off. We were having to leave doors cracked with the heat. So I have no concerns about the stove itself after that.

Reactions: begreen
No sun today and the temp just briefly hit 50, back down to 46 now with a low of 40 expected. I'll be starting a small fire soon.