Pulled the trigger on a Jotul 500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2012
North East Pennsylvania
It is getting installed on Sept 19th!! I went back and forth on a few different stoves. Started out for sure getting a Cape Cod cause I liked the idea of a hybrid, but wanted to cook. Then went to a Jotul 55, then to a Progress Hybrid cause you can cook, but I just could not get past not being able to look at it in person. For some reason that was a big deal. Then I went back to Jotul, but liked the Oslo and the 600. Went back and forth...was going to get the blue/black enamel but it was a matte finish. Had it been glossy I would have gotten that.

When all was said and done I got the regular old black stove with a screen (yea I know you guys say you don't use yours but well...I gotta try it) cook top and just sitting here waiting for the 19th to come.

The guys are going to put a chimney outside. He just didn't feel comfortable tearing up the ceiling to find which way the joists ran and all sorts of other things. Would not have been a convenient install going inside this old house (used to be two houses and in the 1940's some guy made it into one), so we talked about it and decided that outside was likely better all the way around.

So two questions- I guess I will have to warm the flue before I start the fire (I intend to burn 24/7 so I don't intend on having to do this too much) what is the best way you guys have found to warm the flue? I see hairdryers, super cedars...and how warm does it have to be?

Also..where the stove is positioned I can put a floor grate in right above it and it will be in the upstairs hallway. How do you guys feel about floor grates? Should I wait a year and see if the warm air gets upstairs OK? It really only has to get to my bedroom at the top of the stairs-in contrast the floor grate would be at the opposite end of the hall way.

Heating close to 2500 square feet, bottom floor plan is very open-been doing that since last year. Insulated everything pretty good, R-19 in the wall (downstairs only) two layers of R-30 in the attics (just laying on the attic floors).... so I think I'm in pretty good shape as far as keeping the heat in the house, at least relative to last year.

Thanks

Reactions: ailanthus
You picked a great stove. I hope you love it, it's one of my favorites!

You said the blue black was a matte finish? I've never thought it was close to matte. It's no Enamel, but it has a nice gloss to it. Did you see the Blue/Black in person?

Congratulations Elle. Send some photos after it is installed. We all enjoy looking at the pictures.

You picked a great stove. I hope you love it, it's one of my favorites!

You said the blue black was a matte finish? I've never thought it was close to matte. It's no Enamel, but it has a nice gloss to it. Did you see the Blue/Black in person?

I did see it in person on a Jotul gas stove. It was in the back however so maybe it was a little dark Just wasn't as glossy as the others so maybe I was expecting too much :-/

I can't wait!!

Congratulations Elle. Send some photos after it is installed. We all enjoy looking at the pictures.

Will do!!!

On a side note I can't figure out how to reply without quoting dice they changed the app lol

Elle, good to hear you found a installer. Better yet you are getting a great stove. I never have a start up draft issue. That said I have 10 ft of chimney in the house. Your first few burn the temps outside maybe as warm as the house, so it will not want to draft well. Some burn candles, hair dryers. It will be much better when it gets cold.

I got the screen to, its been 12 years, I don't think I ever put it on. If you give it a try, there is a small brass washer under all the door hinges. When you pull the pins and lift the door look for it. With out it it's finger nails on slate when you swing the doors.

I would wait and see the air flow for a year before making changes. Just remember you need to get the cold air out of those rooms so the hot air can replace it.

So is the pipe is going up some distance or straight out the back? Some of the guys here will know the best way to do this.

Tom

Gonna love that heater. If you are going to go cutting in registers between floors put in registers with fusible links and a door on it that slams shut. In case of a house fire that thing will become a chimney from the first to the second floor. Wait to do it. Like forever.

As to kick starting that chimney start your fires top down, preferable with a Super Cedar, and it is off to the races.

Reactions: Elle
Great stove! I have one and my father inlaw has one. These stoves like dry wood. Big difference in performance when you have that. I have a short chimney with some bends and I use my small blow torch for copper pipe to warm up the flue which is not very often.

It will be much better when it gets cold.
I have a short chimney with some bends and I use my small blow torch for copper pipe to warm up the flue which is not very often.
Is that one of the Jotuls that are a little picky about having good draft. Not sure if that is all models or just some....

Welcome to the Order of the Oslo Owners fellow Jotul Oslo Owner.

To answer your questions . . . as others have said you may not need to pre-heat your flue to get a draft established. The only two times that I have problems with the draft is in early Fall and late Spring when the outside and inside temps are pretty close . . . otherwise draft with my outside chimney is a non-issue.

When I do have similar temps I am able to typically open a nearby window and a few minutes later able to get the fire going with little to no smoke in the room. Other options have been mentioned . . . candle, propane torch, hair dryer, etc.

It also helps (at least in my case) to keep the side door ajar about an inch (not the ash pan door!) when starting a fire . . . and years and years ago I tried the top-down fire starting method and despite a few early failures now it's pretty much second nature to me . . . and believe me I get odd looks when I start the fire in this manner while out camping as many folks think it is bizarre.

Before you start cutting holes in your floor and installing grates (with fusible links) try running the stove without cutting up the house . . . using the fan "trick" (blowing towards the stove from the adjacent room) I am able to move the heat around the house and it quite naturally moves up the stairs to the second floor and honestly the heat level upstairs is quite comfortable.

Reactions: Elle and Tenn Dave
HI Elle, Like everyone else, great choice. You'll love it, just give it seasoned wood, she'll do the rest. The Blue Black color is a satin finish- not as many coats of paint are applied, cooked to a satin, not a shiny porcelain finish. I agree with everyone else, crack the side door to start her up, avoid using the ash door, that's a no-no. The Oslo drafts fine, with the outside chimney, if startups are sluggish, a firestarter of some type with kindling will work presto.. Good luck with the new stove.

That reminds me . . . I wonder if and when we'll see the Fall sale on Super Cedars. I've got to buy some more.

Up and then out is always better. Not only for draft, but also if in the future a new stove is purchased. It's very hard to find two stoves with the same flue outlet height.

yes the installers said, up and then out...for exactly the reason you stated...future stove purchases.

Great stove! I have one and my father inlaw has one. These stoves like dry wood. Big difference in performance when you have that. I have a short chimney with some bends and I use my small blow torch for copper pipe to warm up the flue which is not very often.

my chimney is going to be about 30-33 ft or so.... gotta get up past the attic...grrr.

great to hear there are little draft issues with the outside chimney. actually I didn't think about a candle, but the blowtorch sounds like so much more fun!! I'm sure the first few years will be a learning experience-but a fun one. This winter is when the real questions will start!!! Making my air space this coming week, then the floor goes in, then making my hearth. Will of course have many pics along the way. Thanks guys....glad to be part of the club!

I have an Oslo in my basement with a 36' chimney. Unfortunately I can have negative pressure in my basement so startups can be a little smoky. If I open a window all is fine. Once it has been burning for about 2 or 3 minutes I shut the window and don't have any draft problems.

That reminds me . . . I wonder if and when we'll see the Fall sale on Super Cedars. I've got to buy some more.

Fall Sale going on right NOW. Ends Labor Day. 10% of with code: "FALL2013" just got the email the other day.

Reactions: Elle
Fall Sale going on right NOW. Ends Labor Day. 10% of with code: "FALL2013" just got the email the other day.

Crap . . . how did I manage to miss that? Thanks for the heads up.

Elle If you don't know, you can reduce the clearances with a stove rear heat shield and pipe shields. Jotul makes it. I did it and it works well.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.