Purchasing osburn 2400 and self install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
As many of you have helped me I ended up getting what i think is a good deal directly from osbun wood stoves. I was looking for the largest wood stove insert I could afford while also doing a complete SS liner instead of my existing direct connect country comfort. Please tell me there are no negatives to the osburn 2400 insert haha! Here is what the guy hit me at price wise. The rep was also very nice and helpful
  • Osburn 2400 Insert
  • Osburn 2400 Door Overlay Color:OA10090 Black Door Overlay
  • Osburn 2400 Faceplate Size:OA10315 29" x 44" Faceplate
  • Osburn 2400 Faceplate Trim Color:Black Faceplate Trim
  • Chimney liner length:35 ft.
  • Top plate:Terracotta top plate 13" x 13"
  • Insulation:6in by 20ft .5 insulation kit
  • Chimney Cap:Chimney cap
  • Stove Connector:Stove connector

Cost with shipping would be $2860

Tell me if you agree with this he told me that to save money I could just insulate the top part of chimney and not worry about the bottom 10ft. Would there be any safety issues regarding this or would it work fine? Thanks again for all your help! I will be installing this myself also. As some of you have seen my direct connect current setup uses an oval pipe to go through the existing rectangular opening above my current insert. He said they also have rectangular flexible liner that i could use. Do you think it is a better idea to just cut a circular opening through that metal and use the 6" diameter liner?

I think you did well with the insulation and liner included in the price. You bought a proven work horse. I was able to cut out the damper area to allow the liner to pass through without much trouble.

also you think there is no need to insulate the bottom 10-15 ft? Is there no need for a block off plate or that damper section since the top will get a plate? thanks!

You have a tall chimney, what he is saying is somewhat true, the bottom will be warmer than the top. You could very well do that and then stuff Roxul up around the liner from below. At 35 foot you will have some killer draft which not insulating so much might help with. Some might even suggest you size down to a 5.5" liner due to that height.

thankyou mellow you have been very helpful as have others. Im pulling the trigger on the order tonight or tomm morn and i will post pics of my install and final result!. I re measured the outside chimney and its about 25 ft to where i think the top of the insert would be so i will order 30 ft to be safe. Figure i can use excess somewhere around the house! I will look at your insulation here in a bit and i like the idea of keeping the heat confined for more efficiency! I will admit i have no got the chance to review an osburn 2400 as much as i have rresearched other makes and models. I hope this thing will be a great improvement and be a lasting investment ! please let me know any negatives on this stove or if there are none then im even more excited! take care

It is a solid stove with good reviews, you will be happy with it. It will be a little different than the Country Comfort but you will get used to it.

If your chimney is 25 foot I would insulate the whole way just to be on the safe side.

Mine is the same height and I insulated the whole way, it does make a difference.

One other thing is to check to make sure you will not need an offset box with that insert, depends on how much it sits back in the fireplace. Measure the exhaust to make sure it will clear your lintel.

Reactions: PapaDave
Offset box? Your throwing me curve balls now lol I have him hxwxd measurements and sounded like I was good to go? I mean the oval flex pipe that is in currently does bend quite a bit to fit like pics provided

Sometimes an insert has to sit out on the hearth more and depending on your lintel (metal bar runs along top of fireplace for support) the exhaust on the top till be near or under the lintel, that is where the offset box comes into play, it is not a deal breaker but it does offer some challenges.

OffsetBox-lg.jpg

well the metal bar with the existing opening is directly above the existing inserts liner if that helps? still kinda confused i would like my insert to sit out as far as possible

probably a stupid question but is that just an additional piece to the stove or a different design all together? also cannot decide now if i want a free standing or an insert.... what are sizing recommendations for free standing? I like that there are much more options for the free standing to choose from. Is there any way to use a lets say englander nc-30 but without the legs or stand? would be great to sit that inside of fireplace but the assembled height is 29.5 and I have roughly 28" of height to work with

Last edited:
Re: offset box. The point is, will the insert be able to go back into the fireplace enough so that the flue exit on the insert will clear the lintel and be fully inside the fireplace. What are the dimensions of the fireplace.
Edit: and how deep is the lintel?

Is there any way to use a lets say englander nc-30 but without the legs or stand? would be great to sit that inside of fireplace but the assembled height is 29.5 and I have roughly 28" of height to work with

Can't say it's never done. But it is not technically permitted (absent written consent from the mfr)
Edit: I understand there is an optional short leg kit sold for the NC30 for about $100 or so. But with 28" height, you might still have a problem with it.

Last edited:
close to getting the osburn 2400 but would love any option with a firebox that size but under 1500$ would be very nice.... feel like im researching till im blue in the face and cant find anything else

The 2400 is a great stove, there are a few that have one that should be chiming in soon. From what they post they get 12 hr burns no problem. I have the Osburn 2000 and it heats very well with a 2.3 cf firebox.

seems that the total package i was offered cannot be beat right now. Osburn 2400 30 ft of ss liner 316L terracotta plate, cap, insulation kit, stove trim, etc all for 2800 tax shipping included. I really cannot put anything together i feel that can compete at that price. Any input on how loud the osburn blowers are while at full speed? The ol country comfort i currently have is very very noisy

Ho
Re: offset box. The point is, will the insert be able to go back into the fireplace enough so that the flue exit on the insert will clear the lintel and be fully inside the fireplace. What are the dimensions of the fireplace.
Edit: and how deep is the lintel?

Can't say it's never done. But it is not technically permitted (absent written consent from the mfr)
Edit: I understand there is an optional short leg kit sold for the NC30 for about $100 or so. But with 28" height, you might still have a problem with it.
hopefully get you some pics and measurements tonight

Hey tj, The 2400 is a beast. I can get 12 hours from the time I load wood on a bed of coals to that wood burning down to a bed of coals. By 8 hours the stove top temp is only around 300-250 and hangs there for a few hours with just the heat from the coal bed. I've loaded hardwood on a good coal bed and 15 hours later had a coal bed and a stove top of 220. The firebox capacity really lends itself to some serious heat.

I have an offset box connecting my liner to my unit and it has proven to be problematic. Honestly, the draft issues on my set up may be due to the combination of a short chimney and an offset box, but I'm still trouble shooting to see where the problems lie, and what the solutions are. Having a 25 ft chimney is going to draft great. Good luck!

Hey tj, The 2400 is a beast. I can get 12 hours from the time I load wood on a bed of coals to that wood burning down to a bed of coals. By 8 hours the stove top temp is only around 300-250 and hangs there for a few hours with just the heat from the coal bed. I've loaded hardwood on a good coal bed and 15 hours later had a coal bed and a stove top of 220. The firebox capacity really lends itself to some serious heat.

I have an offset box connecting my liner to my unit and it has proven to be problematic. Honestly, the draft issues on my set up may be due to the combination of a short chimney and an offset box, but I'm still trouble shooting to see where the problems lie, and what the solutions are. Having a 25 ft chimney is going to draft great. Good luck!
thats the kind of feed back i wanna hear in an investment this large. I am going to post pics and measurements tommorow to see how deep the insert should sit into my existing fireplace. Do they make a 45 degree elbow that could allow that angle for help instead of useing the offset box?

For everyone helping do any of you think it would be a good idea to go ahead order all my liner, insulation, cap, plate, etc then go ahead fully line my current setup and keep my country comfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.