quad castile not feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi guys.went to a buds house last night as his castile would not feed pellets.hopper was full.auger not spinning.started by checking manual reset on snap disc and it did nothing so i presume since i didnt feel it click that it didnt trip.bypassed the vac switch and at first it did nothing but on second attempt the auger started spinning.he picked up a new swithch today and got it installed ,fired up the stove and nothing again from the auger.anyone know what i should look for.i did clear the chute with a coat hanger so pellet bridge is unlikely.thanks in advance ,Corkman.

heading to his house now to see if i can figure this out so i will check for your responses while over ther.
working on a pellet stove is so much more enjoyable that peeling vegetables

Sounds like not enough airflow in the burn chamber. Could be a dirty stove (most likely), bad combustion blower, blocked venting. Check all the snap switches, one may have tripped and needs manual resetting. (I don't know if his stove has them or not…)

Another thing - check the tubing that goes to the vacuum switch - make sure it and its fittings are not clogged, and see that the ends are in good shape and on the fittings properly.

Happy hunting!

How long has he had the stove? When was the last time it was fully cleaned?

Make sure to blow through the vacuum hose. From the switch side. The fines csn build up in the Nipple where the hose attachs near the auger chute. Also do the dollar bill test on the door gasket.

Make sure the flue and combustion blower and blower area are clean. I just cleaned a Forum members stove a month ago. Was "Plugged" with ash. So much that the blower would not spin.

we have fire.when i was there last night i had pulled out the vac switch a nd blew thru the tube to clear it.i was baffled why it would not run with the new vac switch but the light bulb came on and i realized i didnt do the paper clip trick.the port at the back of the firewall was clogged.hes as happy as a pig in pellets.thanks to you all for yur feedback

corkman said:
we have fire.when i was there last night i had pulled out the vac switch a nd blew thru the tube to clear it.i was baffled why it would not run with the new vac switch but the light bulb came on and i realized i didnt do the paper clip trick.the port at the back of the firewall was clogged.hes as happy as a pig in pellets.thanks to you all for yur feedback

The fines will get you everytime! Tiss another good reason I "Sift" my pellets with the Pellet Sifter/Sucker.

Glad to hear you got it going. You my fine Sir, are the Hero of the Day. Feels good to help someone out.

The Santa Fe I cleaned a month ago was owned by a Member who joined asking for help. I didnt know them from Adam and went to help them. 1.5 hrs of cleaning and leafblower tricking and they were good to go. Even made some friends out of the deal.

Congratulations.

corkman what is the paper clip trick you mentioned? I imagine it's the nipple on the opposite end of the vacuum switch hose? If that's what it is I would have thought that blowing through the tube with the vacuum switch end disconnected would not have been possible if it was clogged?

disconnecting the tube from the switch and blowing from that end will probablly net the same results but he has his stove so close to the wall it was tough to get back there.simply disconnected the tube from the nipple and cleaned it out with the paper clip.

Thanks I didn't want to miss out on any tricks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.