Woodsplitter67 Posted By Woodsplitter67, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:34 AM

1. wooduser

wooduser
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2018
    Loc:
    seattle, wa

It sounds as if the real beneficiary of your wood burning is your wife. Not only does she know you'll be busy with wood burning chores, but she probably gets a man who's turned into a hunk, too.

2. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    Totally agree that time passage seems to accelerate as I get older. It's a strange phenomenon. I hope it means we are enjoying ourselves.

I'd like to keep a journal, Dick Proenneke-style, but not a chance in hell that's happening before retirement.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    There is some consolation in the fact that there are other weirdos out there that get so much enjoyment out of the same thing we do.

And trust me, our neighbors think all the wood is weird.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    Last week when i looked at my wood i didnt post what % of wood i had gone through.
    Sofar i'v burned .5 cord of cherry
    .25 cord of oak.
    I moved more oak up to the house last weekend and will do the same today after breakfast

5. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    The people that dont burn may think its weird.. I know for a fact the others that burn around me are envious. My neighbor has just finished his wood shed, after years of watching me having nice dry wood. Now had a DHT splitter and now looks for hardwoods like maple and oak after burning nothing but poplar. My brother-in-law comes over and remarks on how clean my wood looks, how square it is and is envious of such wood storage and now has a wood shed filled with hardwoods... apparently my weirdness is contagious..

ED 3000 likes this.
  6. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    I think it might be contagious. Not much in my neighborhood. But that's a good thing for me, lots of wood to be had.

There is one new neighbor who moved in last year to a forclosed property that had been vacant for a while. He fixed it right up. Shortly after, a storm came through through and blew a big oak over, probably over 3' in diameter. They had a tree service help clean it up, and he had it all css in short order. Now I see he gets big dumps of tree trimmings from the tree service regularly. One day he's got a big pile of logs and branches in the yard, a couple days later, it's all in sharp looking stacks.

I wouldn't say I'm jealous, but I am impressed with the efficiency of his operation.

7. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    I think you are being facetious, but that's actually an interesting idea. Elon Musk thought so, he's on his way to moving people that way.

Maybe not pneumatic for the wood conveyor, but perhaps an electric winch based system.

I do like the metaphor it conjures of wood being like depositing checks at the bank.

8. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    Of course!

I have long wondered, as I enjoy all the BK revelry here, why the numbers don't seem to add up. If I was getting 24 hour burns, I'd be using about 25% of the wood I am using.

9. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    What is your stove if you dont mined me asking..

10. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    Flame xtd insert by SBI. Almost identical to Drolet 1800i and Century 2900i. 2.4 cf tube stove. Big bang for the buck!

I think it's in my signature?

11. Chas0218

Chas0218
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2015
    Loc:
    Beaver Dams New York
    Last winter was lllloooonnngggg, I burned through 7 cords and all the way to the end of April. At that point we went to our cottage to open it up and left the furnace on from there on out.

Yeah I burned for a long time last season, we were in the 30's up until almost May. At that point I was out of seasoned wood and just turned on the furnace. Long heating seasons last year.

12. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    So what have you burned so far this season

13. Chas0218

Chas0218
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2015
    Loc:
    Beaver Dams New York
    1.5 cords figured out this past weekend, last winter I was burning 24/7 almost a month earlier and had already gone thru 2 cords. I had a total of 5 seasoned cords for last season and burned through all that and little reserve that was a little higher M.C. After getting sub par heat for 2 weeks in April I called it quits and turned on the furnace. In the beginning of last season up until January I was heating with only wood as I didn't have the 2nd story hot water baseboard plumbed yet.

Now I'm working on getting the radiant floor heat plumbed on the 1st floor.

14. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    You’re right! I had forgotten that I shut down the stoves in spring, as I pretty much always do, once yard work season starts. There are only so many hours in a day, and I need my firewood wagon for moving mulch in the spring. Did 110 yards of the stuff over two weekends, last April.

Chas0218 likes this.
  15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Foothills of The Adirondacks
    We have more yellow birch with some soft & sugar maple going in the Liberty today, that will be the same mixture of wood tonight.

We had 2 for a low last night.

16. Eater309

Eater309
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2011
    Loc:
    E. Central IL
    Across the river from you in StateLine and agree it's colder earlier than last year.
    Gone through cord plus of Maple and getting ready to hit the Hickory.
    We do like it warm in the house! :eek:

17. Eater309

Eater309
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2011
    Loc:
    E. Central IL
    Nice packing job you did there.....;lol

18. billfred

billfred
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jul 28, 2015
    Loc:
    indy
    I just went thru 1.5 cords. First year of wood burning for me. A lot of this was Poplar, elm and cherry.

E6ABDB39-4454-4981-87F2-CEEA1D80C366.jpg Now moving to the ash. BF1B721D-114C-4454-9477-651C9FD8D6AB.jpg

coutufr and Todd67 like this.
  19. EODMSgt

EODMSgt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2018
    Loc:
    White Mountain Region, NH
    So far I've used just under 2 cords (mix of oak, maple, beech and birch). Not too bad considering how cold it's been and I am only using wood for heat.

20181212_152602.jpg

20. kvesi122

kvesi122
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Worcester County Mass
    ^^

Beautiful shed!

EODMSgt likes this.
  21. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI

My spreadsheet tells me I've burned 4,369lbs of wood, LP furnace has ran a total of 21.6 hours (combination of being gone and simply not cold enough to light a fire in early fall/late summer) and have had 2,285 HDD's so far this heating season up to and including Dec 11th. ==c

22. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    I like your racks and stacks.. looks clean and neat..

23. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    Different wood spices weight different so are you saying 1.5 cords

Dobish likes this.
  24. EODMSgt

EODMSgt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2018
    Loc:
    White Mountain Region, NH
    Thanks! Built it about 8 years ago. I originally put slats on the back as well but took them off to access the wood from both front and back (cuts down on rotating seasoned wood at the end of the burning season). I don't remember the dimensions offhand but it holds just shy of four cords in each bay.

20181212_152629.jpg

Todd67 and ED 3000 like this.
  25. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    I convert it all to red oak and use 3,650lbs/cord for red oak. I burn mostly red oak....some white. During the shoulder seasons I burn pine and poplar, but convert it all to red oak.